Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/06/08 23:43:15 UTC

[VOTE] Release specs for Activation, JACC, Deployment, Servlet and StAX

Please review the specifications located at http://people.apache.org/
~hogstrom/specs-rc1/

We are voting these in a block.  Failures will be removed from the
block and others will proceed forward.

Voting concludes on Monday, June 11th at 1800 ET.

Thanks

Re: [VOTE] Release specs for Activation, JACC, Deployment, Servlet and StAX

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

> Activation: + 0.1 pom is missing scm section
> Jacc: +1
> Deployment : +1
> Servlet: -1 unless someone can explain why its ok to include the
> sun explanatory comments in javax/servlet/resources/web-app_2_2.dtd
> and  javax/servlet/resources/web-app_2_5.xsd.  Also scm section is
> missing in pom
> Stax: +0.1 missing scm section.
>
> I think the servlet one needs to be re-rolled.  It might be worth
> fixing the poms in the activation and stax at the same time just to
> make it easier to find the source code, but I'm not adamant about
> that.

I am also now -1 for Servlet. I took a look at both the dtd and xsd.
They were both committed by the Tomcat project into Tomcat svn and
subsequently copied into Geronimo. However, both files appear to be
copies of Sun copyrighted materials, with Sun copyright and licensing
terms (i.e. restrictions of use) removed.

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] Release specs for Activation, JACC, Deployment, Servlet and StAX

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
On 6/11/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Activation: + 0.1 pom is missing scm section

> Jacc: +1
scm section in pom.xml is wrong

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jun 11, 2007, at 10:51 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2007, at 1:07 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> Servlet: -1 unless someone can explain why its ok to include the
>> sun explanatory comments in javax/servlet/resources/web-
>> app_2_2.dtd and  javax/servlet/resources/web-app_2_5.xsd.  Also
>> scm section is missing in pom
>
> I mentioned earlier that we could switch over to tomcat's JSP and
> EL specs when they publish their next stable release (probably
> 6.0.14) to maven central.  But I think we should be able to use
> their current version of the servlet spec because last time I took
> a look it passed all tests.
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/tomcat/servlet-api/6.0.13/
>
> Their spec jar contains the same XSDs with the suspicious
> "explanatory comments" that you object to in geronimo's copy, so I
> don't know if using their copy instead of releasing our own
> addresses your concerns.

No, and I'm reluctant to use their copies in the future if the origin
and acceptability of these explanatory comments is not explicitly
elucidated.  I apologize for not bringing this up earlier, but I
forgot about the issue until I was reviewing the proposed release jars.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

> Servlet: -1 unless someone can explain why its ok to include the
> sun explanatory comments in javax/servlet/resources/web-app_2_2.dtd
> and  javax/servlet/resources/web-app_2_5.xsd.  Also scm section is
> missing in pom

I mentioned earlier that we could switch over to tomcat's JSP and EL
specs when they publish their next stable release (probably 6.0.14)
to maven central.  But I think we should be able to use their current
version of the servlet spec because last time I took a look it passed
all tests.
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/tomcat/servlet-api/6.0.13/

Their spec jar contains the same XSDs with the suspicious
"explanatory comments" that you object to in geronimo's copy, so I
don't know if using their copy instead of releasing our own addresses
your concerns.  Just wanting to get this option out on the table.

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: [VOTE] Release specs for Activation, JACC, Deployment, Servlet and StAX

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Oh yeah...here is my +1

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
On Jun 11, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Rick McGuire wrote:

> A couple of questions about the spec releases:
>
> 1)  Why does activation-1.1 still have a trunk branch in svn?
It doesn't ... perhaps you have some local mods in the FS that kept
subversion from deleting it.

> 2)  Why hasn't the javamail-1.4 spec been released?  Geronimo has
> an indirect dependency on the 1.4 spec through the javamail uber-
> jar, which also needs to made into a release.
I didn't have the brainpower to work through this last week.  If you
have time to put it together for a release that would be awesome.
Otherwise I'll get to it later this week after sorting through the
other issues raised by folks on the current specs.

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1

The geronimo-servlet_2.5_spec-1.1-sources.jar has some extra source
files in it.  But the binary looks ok.

Best wishes,
Paul

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
+1

Joe

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1

Jarek

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
+1

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1

-dain

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 9, 2007, at 1:24 PM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:

> Kevan,
>
> I'll work on it.

Cool. Thanks, Prasad.

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] Release specs for Activation, JACC, Deployment, Servlet and StAX

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Kevan,

I'll work on it.

Cheers