Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by "Alan M. Carroll" <am...@network-geographics.com> on 2010/04/18 18:04:46 UTC

Reverse proxy transparency

I read through the documentation on reverse proxy mode but didn't find the answer to my question, what IP address is used by ATS to connect to the origin servers, the client IP address or an address on an ATS interface? If the latter, is it presumed that served content is not dependent on the client IP address?

Re: Reverse proxy transparency

Posted by George Paul <ge...@apache.org>.
The HTTP+Net+ARM modules worked to provide "IP Spoofing" functionality.
However only the Net code remains while HTTP support has been removed
(ARM of course has been removed as mentioned earlier).

-George

Posted by "Alan M. Carroll" <am...@network-geographics.com>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 04/18/2010 10:04 AM, Alan M. Carroll wrote:
> I read through the documentation on reverse proxy mode but didn't find the answer to my question, what IP address is used by ATS to connect to the origin servers, the client IP address or an address on an ATS interface? If the latter, is it presumed that served content is not dependent on the client IP address?

Yeah, it'll be the IP of the interface that you route the outgoing
request on (by default).

Maybe I'm missing something, but how would it work if you forge the
src-IP to the IP of the client? The origin would then route back to the
client IP directly, which is not what you want. Unless of course you
have configured the origins too to route everything back via the ATS
server? (The latter sounds like inline routing as done in SLBs for
example). I don't think we currently support such a setup, not sure how
easy or difficult it'd be to add.

That much said, there are several headers available for making "ACLs"
based on the client IP. E.g. "Client-IP" and "X-Forwarded-For". Either
can obviously be forged, so you have to establish some sort of trust
relation between your origin and the ATS server, so that the Origin can
be certain that the header(s) is correct when coming from the ATS
server, and ignored when not.

-- Leif