Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Plamen Totev <pl...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/01 18:31:50 UTC

Making the Sonatype Plexus GitHub Repositories Read Only

Hi,

There a couple of Plexus related repositories hosted at the Sonatype
GitHub account (https://github.com/sonatype/plexus-compiler for
example). Those repositories are not maintained and out of date. But
they appear on the top of the google results and that causes some
confusion. There are links to the new repositories but I think it
would be even better if those repositories are archived (made read
only). What do you think? The operation is reversible - they can be
made writable again if there is a need to do so.

Also if nobody objects  I would like to contact GitHub support to
check if we can make the codehaus-plexus repositories regular ones
(they appear as forks now). That would help with them being more
easily identified as the canonical repositories.

Regards,
Plamen Totev

Re: Making the Sonatype Plexus GitHub Repositories Read Only

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

send email to Brian fox...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

On 01/07/18 20:37, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
> Hi Plamen,
>
> On 01/07/18 20:31, Plamen Totev wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There a couple of Plexus related repositories hosted at the Sonatype
>> GitHub account (https://github.com/sonatype/plexus-compiler for
>> example). Those repositories are not maintained and out of date. But
>> they appear on the top of the google results and that causes some
>> confusion. There are links to the new repositories but I think it
>> would be even better if those repositories are archived (made read
>> only). What do you think? The operation is reversible - they can be
>> made writable again if there is a need to do so.
>>
>> Also if nobody objects  I would like to contact GitHub support to
>> check if we can make the codehaus-plexus repositories regular ones
>> (they appear as forks now). That would help with them being more
>> easily identified as the canonical repositories.
>
> I would go first via Brian Fox of Sonatype and ask him to archive
> them...and afterwards we can try to make them the offical ones...
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Mit freundlichem Gruß
Karl-Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl-Heinz Marbaise        USt.IdNr: DE191347579
Hauptstrasse 177
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Re: Making the Sonatype Plexus GitHub Repositories Read Only

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Plamen,

Posted by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@o-sinc.com>.
On Sun, 1 Jul 2018 20:37:10 +0200
Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2018-07-01 um 20:31 schrieb Plamen Totev:
>
> > Also if nobody objects  I would like to contact GitHub support to
> > check if we can make the codehaus-plexus repositories regular ones
> > (they appear as forks now). That would help with them being more
> > easily identified as the canonical repositories.
>
> Sounds good to me. Can we remove the "forked from sonatype/..." too?

That is an easy semi routine request. Github will happily un-attach a
forked repo. Just contact them requesting such. Or you can delete the
repo and re-upload a copy. That will do the same.

Just the same with owners permission you can also change the root of
any forks. Like making codehaus-plexus the root, and sonatype a fork of
that. I did that via owners permission for  JTidy. It is now the root,
it was not before.
https://github.com/jtidy

Though I would likely keep it a fork if the other is archived. Other
repos do that for historic purposes.

Example
https://github.com/google/dagger

You can either detach and archive sonatype or update the readme and
point to codehaus-plexus. I think keeping it a fork is better for
historic purposes. It is moot to me either way. Just my 2 cents.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.

Re: Making the Sonatype Plexus GitHub Repositories Read Only

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.