Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Matthew Strickland <ms...@hotmail.com> on 2004/03/08 19:38:51 UTC

max number of Inboxes dir?

I have install James 2.1 on a machine running IBM AIX 4.3.  After running
test the local admin was concerned with the 11,000 user mail directories
created in /var/mail/inboxes.  Would this many directories cause performance
issues on james?  Is there a way to divide the directories i.e. 500 each sub
or created sub-dir based on 1st letter of user name?  Is maildir format a
option in james?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Matthew Strickland

RE: max number of Inboxes dir?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I have install James 2.1 on a machine running IBM AIX 4.3.  After running
> test the local admin was concerned with the 11,000 user mail directories
> created in /var/mail/inboxes.

Depends upon how well AIX handles large numbers of entries in a directory.

> Would this many directories cause performance issues on james?

Should not be too bad for James, unless the file system has problems.  The
bigger concern in my mind would be memory utilization, which is already on
the list for enhancement.

> Is there a way to divide the directories i.e. 500 each sub or
> created sub-dir based on 1st letter of user name?

Not that comes to mind, without writing a replacement store.

> Is maildir format a option in james?

Not yet.

	--- Noel