Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Darren Hague <dh...@fortybeans.com> on 2009/01/02 12:50:53 UTC

Re: AW: Thoughts on building a business around ESME

I think that a useful lever for ESME adoption would be to make sure that
Twitter (& Yammer?) integration is built-in - in other words, ESME
should be usable as a Twitter client, so people can access their wider
network. Once this is under way, integrating local users becomes easier.

A useful default would be for users to specify their Twitter ID on
registration/first login, and this would be their ESME ID too - @xyz
would then work seamlessly. We would then need a convention for
specifiying local-only users (i.e. those who do not have a Twitter
account) - perhaps @_abcd or something similar.

Along with this, of course, we need to implement the
personal/group/local/global permissions model.

- Darren

Re: AW: AW: Thoughts on building a business around ESME

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@gmail.com>.
Hello all,

Regarding the Twitter "bridge", which aspects are we concerned about?

- receiving a set of twitter messages in a user's timeline.
- posting a set of ESME messages to Twitter.
- integrating Twitter user management with ESME user management somehow.

The first two already work in the hooks & actions branch, even though
some hand-holding in configuring this is still necessary.
Unfortunately, I've had less time for ESME during the holidays than
expected, so it's not yet merged in the apache svn (and it's broken in
the old one).

As for group-private messages, it's certainly a priority if the
feedback I received from colleagues is representative. (Isn't
permissions and private messages the same thing btw?)

Vassil

Re: AW: AW: Thoughts on building a business around ESME

Posted by Daniel Koller <da...@googlemail.com>.
Hi all,

some comments regarding the ESME-/Twitter-Bridge:

- yes, we can do that: but we have to have to provide a simple and visible
separation for the enduser to tell him "what are you going to post where".
We have also to make sure that information which is in the company does not
go out to twitter unintentionally, because somebody did not see the
difference in the UI.

- A consistent user naming between Twitter and ESME is possible, but it does
not have to be in the user names directly (think e.g. of a TwitterPoster
Plugin, which sends messages with a defined user account information) --> my
remark targets scenarios, where companies still have a hard time to
consolidate all the identity information, which is in the field, coming from
different existing applications. My company e.g. gives everybody livelong ID
(8-characters, letters and numbers, starting with "Z"), which does not
change. This ID is used to identify user accounts of the same person in all
application systems. This should not be a contradiction to a simple
Twitter/ESME setup.

Kind regards,

Daniel

--
---
Daniel Koller

Re: AW: AW: Thoughts on building a business around ESME

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petteroe <yo...@gmail.com>.
On 2. jan.. 2009, at 13.09, Hirsch, Richard wrote:

>> Along with this, of course, we need to implement the personal/group/
>> local/global permissions model.
>
> If you look at Mike's blog, you will see that he also thinks this
> sort of access control is critical. I agree and I think it should be
> on the top of our feature list.
>
> D.

+1 on top of my list too, followed by private messages.
- Anne

AW: AW: AW: Thoughts on building a business around ESME

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.
Agreed. I saw your comments on the lift mailing list. Looks like it is a good start but I didn't see any details on container-based auth.

D.

Posted by Darren Hague <dh...@fortybeans.com>.

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.

Posted by David Pollak <fe...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Darren Hague <dh...@fortybeans.com> wrote:

> I think that a useful lever for ESME adoption would be to make sure that
> Twitter (& Yammer?) integration is built-in - in other words, ESME should be
> usable as a Twitter client, so people can access their wider network. Once
> this is under way, integrating local users becomes easier.
>
> A useful default would be for users to specify their Twitter ID on
> registration/first login, and this would be their ESME ID too - @xyz would
> then work seamlessly. We would then need a convention for specifiying
> local-only users (i.e. those who do not have a Twitter account) - perhaps
> @_abcd or something similar.

Very cool idea.  You're suggesting "embrace and extend"... did you ever work
for Microsoft?

I think federation and portable identities (e.g., my personal ESME persona
and my work ESME persona, each served from different machines, share
non-protected messages)

Collaborative Task Management http://much4.us
Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp