Posted to user@beam.apache.org by Will Walters <ww...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2017/06/28 20:39:55 UTC

Recommended Flink Version

Hello,
I've been attempting to run Beam through Flink on a Yarn cluster and have run into trouble with getting a job to submit, partly because of incompatibility between versions. Does anyone know what versions of Beam and Flink I should be using to give myself the best chance of finding compatibility?
Thank you,Will.

Re: Recommended Flink Version

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
I just tried it with the Beam Quickstart form the website and a fresh Flink 1.2.1 download. This is the command I used for building the Quickstart:

mvn package -DskipTests -Pflink-runner

(The important bit here is -Pflink-runner which brings in the Flink Runner and its dependencies)

For running I did this:

bin/start-cluster.sh
bin/flink run -c org.apache.beam.examples.WordCount ../word-count-beam/target/word-count-beam-0.1.jar  --inputFile=/Users/aljoscha/Downloads/word-count-beam/pom.xml  --output=/tmp/counts --runner=FlinkRunner

Best,
Aljoscha

Posted by Will Walters <ww...@yahoo-inc.com>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Recommended Flink Version

Posted by Will Walters <ww...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I believe so. By default it creates a filepath that can't be read when creating registrars later.
-Will

    On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 1:02 AM, Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org> wrote:

 So this is a general bug in how Flink constructs the HADOOP_CONF_DIR path?
Best,Aljoscha

On 11. Jul 2017, at 20:14, Will Walters <ww...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
I've managed to solve the problem I was having, which was with Flink not properly finding my hdfs registrar. It turns out that in the config.sh file, it runs this line on the global variable $HADOOP_CONF_DIR:
if [ -d "$HADOOP_HOME/etc/hadoop" ]; then        # Its Hadoop 2.2+        HADOOP_CONF_DIR="$HADOOP_CONF_DIR:$HADOOP_HOME/etc/hadoop"
This means that HADOOP_CONF_DIR is set to two filepaths concatenated with a colon. In the function which reads in the registrars, it passes this string into the File() constructor, which fails because the string isn't a valid filepath. Commenting out the line above solved the problem, allowing a successful submission.
Thanks for your help!Will

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org