Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Erel Segal <er...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/20 13:33:40 UTC

php server

Hi,

I would like to support OpenSocial on my site, so I downloaded Shindig. My
site is mostly in PHP so I went to the readme file titled "Installing and
Running The PHP Shindig Gadget Server"  (
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/shindig/trunk/php/README). It says
"Copy the files to your web root" - what files exactly should I copy? I
tried copying the entire directory tree under "php" but it didn't work - it
does not contain a file named "ifr".

Another question: Is it possible to use only the Javascript files that are
bundled with Shindig, without building Shindig?

Re: php server

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 4:33 AM, Erel Segal <er...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to support OpenSocial on my site, so I downloaded Shindig. My
> site is mostly in PHP so I went to the readme file titled "Installing and
> Running The PHP Shindig Gadget Server"  (
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/shindig/trunk/php/README). It
> says
> "Copy the files to your web root" - what files exactly should I copy? I
> tried copying the entire directory tree under "php" but it didn't work - it
> does not contain a file named "ifr".
>
> Another question: Is it possible to use only the Javascript files that are
> bundled with Shindig, without building Shindig?

Yes, for the most part each component can be used indepdently of the others.
Each piece is designed to comply with the relevant specs whenever they
exist, so you could easily use the java gadget renderer, php social data,
and half of the javascript while providing your own implementation for the
other half.

Re: php server

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
ps that's correct, it depends on mod_rewrite being enabled. the php
directory includes a .htaccess file that rewrite's the urls to
index.php, so make sure .htaccess file and mod_rewrite support is
enabled, and you should be fine

Re: php server

Posted by Erel Segal <er...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot, now the gadget works!

P.S. The config.php file contains the following comment (lines 31-32): "don't
forget to update your .htaccess to reflect this, as well as your container
javascript like: gadget.setServerBase('/someBaseUrl/')"; I didn't change my
.htaccess file, and didn't understand what javascript file to change so I
didn't change this either, and it still works. How can this be?

Re: php server

Posted by Erel Segal <er...@gmail.com>.
I also noted a similar sentence in the README file:
"If you change the web_prefix also    update the container/container.js file
too point to the correct locations"

I didn't find this file; the closest match was config/container.js, and the
closest setting is "opensocial-0.8" > "path". Is this the setting that
should be changed?

Re: php server

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.

Re: php server

Posted by Erel Segal <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: php server

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Erel Segal <er...@gmail.com> wrote:

> P.S Just to make sure I understand: If I use the PHP server, I don't need
> build the Java server, so I don't even need to install Maven. Is this true?

This is correct, though unfortunately there's no automated test mechanism
for the JS code  other than Maven. Dave Smith is working on a solution that
doesn't require it.

Re: php server

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
Hmm i guess a mention of the required platform (php, extentions) plus
updated readme with full recent instructions might be in order indeed :)

Re: php server

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Re: php server

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
That is correct.

Re: php server

Posted by Erel Segal <er...@gmail.com>.
P.S Just to make sure I understand: If I use the PHP server, I don't need to

Re: php server

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
Hi Erel,

[...]

If you want to put those somewhere else on your server, edit