Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/14 06:47:50 UTC

[VOTE] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC4)

Lang is ready to consider 3.0 release again.

RC4 is available here:

 http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang3-3.0-RC4/

SVN:

 http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/lang/tags/LANG_3_0_RC4/

Maven artifacts:

 http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang3-3.0-RC4/maven/

Website:

 http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang3-3.0-RC4/site/

Note that there is a 2.6->3.0 Clirr report in the site that may prove useful:

 http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang3-3.0-RC4/site/lang2-lang3-clirr--report.html

This vote will close no sooner than in 72 hours time, 0500 GMT 16 July 2011.

================
  [ ] +1
  [ ] -1, with reason

Re: [VOTE] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC4)

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
FYI: The Clirr report contains an extra "-" that breaks the link.

The fixed link is
http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang3-3.0-RC4/site/lang2-lang3-clirr-report.html

Gary

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lang is ready to consider 3.0 release again.
>
> RC4 is available here:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang3-3.0-RC4/
>
> SVN:
>
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/lang/tags/LANG_3_0_RC4/
>
> Maven artifacts:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang3-3.0-RC4/maven/
>
> Website:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang3-3.0-RC4/site/
>
> Note that there is a 2.6->3.0 Clirr report in the site that may prove
> useful:
>

> http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang3-3.0-RC4/site/lang2-lang3-clirr--report.html
>
> This vote will close no sooner than in 72 hours time, 0500 GMT 16 July
> 2011.
>
> ================
>  [ ] +1
>  [ ] -1, with reason

Thank you,
Gary

http://garygregory.wordpress.com/
http://garygregory.com/
http://people.apache.org/~ggregory/
http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC4)

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/7/15 Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>:
> The build runs fine for me with Java 1.5 and 1.6 on Windows 7. Artifacts
> look good.
>
> I was wondering why the binary distribution does not contain jars for the
> sources and javadocs, but this is probably not necessary because the
> artifacts are available at the maven repository.

Why have I to go elsewhere besides the ASF to download them? Other
projects have them included in distributive.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [VOTE] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC4)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Oliver Heger
<ol...@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
> The build runs fine for me with Java 1.5 and 1.6 on Windows 7. Artifacts
> look good.
>
> I was wondering why the binary distribution does not contain jars for the
> sources and javadocs, but this is probably not necessary because the
> artifacts are available at the maven repository.
>
> A minor nit: The RAT report on the site lists some files which should not be
> in.

Yeah, I noticed that. It won't be there when I do the real site
post-release. I need to tweak my script so it doesn't store the
artifacts inside the lang directory when building a release :)

> So +1!

*cheer*

Hen

Re: [VOTE] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC4)

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
The build runs fine for me with Java 1.5 and 1.6 on Windows 7. Artifacts
look good.

I was wondering why the binary distribution does not contain jars for
the sources and javadocs, but this is probably not necessary because the
artifacts are available at the maven repository.

A minor nit: The RAT report on the site lists some files which should
not be in.

So +1!
Oliver

Re: [RESULT] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC4)

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 7/19/11 6:13 AM, Paul Benedict wrote:
> Congrats! Long Live Commons Lang 3.

Great work, all!

Sorry I missed the gong on the VOTE.  Release looks fine.

Phil

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Great achievement Henri,

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 1:52 AM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Vote passes [!!!!!!!!!]
>>>
>>> 6 +1s.
>>>
>>> Gary Gregory
>>> Matt Benson
>>> Oliver Heger
>>> Jörg Schaible
>>> Stephen Colebourne
>>> and my own implicit +1.
>>>
>>> I'll start dredging up the 'how to push a release' knowledge tonight :)

>>    Tag copied over.
>>    Distributions uploaded. Synced on Apache machines, propagating out
>> to mirrors.
>>    Maven contents in the sync directory, waiting to show up on maven.org.
>>    Website updated (including Jörg's suggestions). Sync pending.
>>    Released in JIRA.
>>
>> Waiting on maven.org and the mirrors before announcing.
>
> It's showing on mirrors now. The Website is synced.
>
> Nothing on maven.org though. This is a new addition to the
> org.apache.commons groupId; do we need to ping someone to make the
> sync happen?

If not in Nexus, I'd say better safe than sorry.

Matt

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20 July 2011 07:04, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>    Tag copied over.
>>>    Distributions uploaded. Synced on Apache machines, propagating out
>>> to mirrors.
>>>    Maven contents in the sync directory, waiting to show up on maven.org.
>>>    Website updated (including Jörg's suggestions). Sync pending.
>>>    Released in JIRA.
>>>
>>> Waiting on maven.org and the mirrors before announcing.
>>
>> It's showing on mirrors now. The Website is synced.
>>
>> Nothing on maven.org though. This is a new addition to the
>> org.apache.commons groupId; do we need to ping someone to make the
>> sync happen?
>
> I think it's good in Nexus now:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/org/apache/commons/commons-lang3/
>
> Hopefully that means it'll be heading off to maven.central at some point.
>
> The upload is different from the documentation I was pointed to - but
> fairly easy once you've done it. It should be very scriptable. What I
> did was:
>
> svn export the code
> Run 'mvn source:jar javadoc:jar repository:bundle-create'
> Discover that that wasn't good enough as I didn't have the PGP ascs.
> Fair enough. Start again.
>
> Take the maven repo our current release instructions say to use. Copy
> *.jar, *.pom and *.asc into a directory. Go in there and zip the files
> up into the bundle jar. I used zip and the existing bundle jar from
> step 1, but there's no reason why you couldn't just make it. I doubt
> the manifest is important (and using jar to create the jar rather than
> my habit of zip would help there).
>
> Next login to Nexus and go to the Staging Upload. Choose resource
> bundle (ignore the pom + artifacts as that seems to get confused with
> poms and asc files). Add the bundle. That should work and will point
> you to the location in the staging repo.
>
> Go to staging and hit release.
>
> So ideally this can be pretty easy. Do the current build process. Run
> a script (ant, shell, whatever) to take the jar, pom and asc files and
> stick them in a jar. Then upload that to Nexus and hit release.

Or just use "mvn deploy -Prelease" in the first place, as this creates
and packages the jars for you.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>    Tag copied over.
>>>    Distributions uploaded. Synced on Apache machines, propagating out
>>> to mirrors.
>>>    Maven contents in the sync directory, waiting to show up on maven.org.
>>>    Website updated (including Jörg's suggestions). Sync pending.
>>>    Released in JIRA.
>>>
>>> Waiting on maven.org and the mirrors before announcing.
>>
>> It's showing on mirrors now. The Website is synced.
>>
>> Nothing on maven.org though. This is a new addition to the
>> org.apache.commons groupId; do we need to ping someone to make the
>> sync happen?
>
> I think it's good in Nexus now:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/org/apache/commons/commons-lang3/
>
> Hopefully that means it'll be heading off to maven.central at some point.
>
> The upload is different from the documentation I was pointed to - but
> fairly easy once you've done it. It should be very scriptable. What I
> did was:
>
> svn export the code
> Run 'mvn source:jar javadoc:jar repository:bundle-create'
> Discover that that wasn't good enough as I didn't have the PGP ascs.
> Fair enough. Start again.
>
> Take the maven repo our current release instructions say to use. Copy
> *.jar, *.pom and *.asc into a directory. Go in there and zip the files
> up into the bundle jar. I used zip and the existing bundle jar from
> step 1, but there's no reason why you couldn't just make it. I doubt
> the manifest is important (and using jar to create the jar rather than
> my habit of zip would help there).
>
> Next login to Nexus and go to the Staging Upload. Choose resource
> bundle (ignore the pom + artifacts as that seems to get confused with
> poms and asc files). Add the bundle. That should work and will point
> you to the location in the staging repo.
>
> Go to staging and hit release.
>
> So ideally this can be pretty easy. Do the current build process. Run
> a script (ant, shell, whatever) to take the jar, pom and asc files and
> stick them in a jar. Then upload that to Nexus and hit release.
>
> Fingers crossed that I got this in the right place for this to head to
> the right place :)

We're good:

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-lang3/3.0/ :)

Hen

Re: [RESULT] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC4)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 July 2011 21:33, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 1:16 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Personally, I would greatly appreciate this.  I was planning to try
>>> to imitate the tomcat setup that Mark referred to [1] earlier for
>>> the upcoming [pool] and [dbcp] releases.  Unfortunately, in order
>>> for that to work, we have to agree to move back to ibiblio-rysnch
>>> for all of o.a.c.  As it stands now, we are stuck with nexus for all
>>> but the old separate groupId components.
>>
>> I managed to use Nexus to upload the Daemon artifacts.
>>
>> IIRC, I created a bundle first, but I think one can upload files separately.
>>
>> However, it's easier to use "mvn deploy" in the first place.
>
> It's LDAP based right? ie) I should be seeing the same upload features
> that you're seeing in the UI?

Nexus uses LDAP.for login; I assume it uses LDAP groups for access
rights once logged in.
e.g. I can see Mina, BSF, HttpComponents and Commons entries.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, I think you have no choice but to use nexus.  I think
>>> the whole tree, org.apache.commons is now forced to use nexus.  You
>>> can try asking on repository@.
>>
>> Looks that way, and it looks like you can't upload artifacts to nexus
>> but instead have to either write Ivy code or put Maven in charge of
>> your release management, doing all the staging through nexus.
>>
> So at this point we're better off ULing through Ivy?  Among us, either
> Stefan or I would probably be best suited to attempt this.

Or they could turn on the upload button :)

http://www.sonatype.com/books/nexus-book/reference/using-sect-uploading-artifacts.html

Hen

Re: [RESULT] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC4)

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Vote passes [!!!!!!!!!]

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Am 14.07.2011 21:43, schrieb Matt Benson:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Henri Yandell<fl...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Oliver Heger
>> <ol...@oliver-heger.de>  wrote:

>>> Well, if the fix is already in SVN, I would also prefer to include it in the
>>> release. I hope, Hen does not loose his patience...
>>
>> I have a 3 month old, a 3 year old and a 6 year old. There are entire
>> worlds left of my patience to be explored before you guys even get
>> close to it being lost :)
>>
>> That said - if it's not a binary compatibility issue I would prefer to
>> release now and then release again with a 3.0.1. My firm intent is to
>> keep shoving releases at commons-dev@ as fast as it can stomach them.
>> I can promise that if we roll again there will be another minor bug
>> [for example there's already 11 bugs in 3.x, with
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-708 being one that needs
>> fixing quickly in a bugfix release].
>>

> If we're releasing early and often I retract my quasi-objection,
> though I haven't yet eyeballed the RC such that I can conscientiously
> give a +1 either.  And I really don't mind RMing 3.0.x either, dearth
> of round tuits notwithstanding, but I need somebody to hold my hand
> and show me that the big bad Maven isn't going to get me.

I also agree with Hen's argument. Just checking the release and going to
vote in some minutes.

Oliver

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
Apologies, I haven't had much time in the past few months and haven't
really been following. I'm sure you guys have done a great job and am
happy to leave the vote up to you.

Niall

Posted by David Karlsen <da...@gmail.com>.
2011/7/19 Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>

> As long as Commons IO is marked as a test dependency, I am okay with
> it. I just don't want it to be a compile-time dependency for the main
> source.

And it is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/lang/trunk/pom.xml

<dependency>
      <groupId>commons-io</groupId>
      <artifactId>commons-io</artifactId>
      <version>2.0.1</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>

along with the other test deps...

--
David J. M. Karlsen - http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidkarlsen

Re: [VOTE] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC4)

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:

> As long as Commons IO is marked as a test dependency, I am okay with
> it. I just don't want it to be a compile-time dependency for the main
> source.

It is specified in the test scope in the POM.

Gary

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Karlsen <da...@gmail.com>.
2011/7/19 Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Interesting issue; though thankfully it's post RC4 so not an issue wrt
> > releasing 3.0.
> >
> > Assuming (for argument's sake) that IO Test depends on Lang & Lang
> > Test depends on IO; is this bad? I'm not convinced it is. Dealing with
> > something like that is something the build system needs to know how to
> > do.
> >

> We depend on JUnit and EasyMock for testing, so I really think it is OK to
> also depend on [io] for testing as well. C&P'ing code is lame in this case
> IMO.

+1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.
I'm willing to vote +1
Although I haven't checked every recent change, but AFAIK recent
changes have been minor and my previous issues are resolved.

I would note that the svn as of right now does not compile, due to an
IOUtils reference that shouldn't be there.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Gary.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@scalaris.com>.
Hi Hen,

Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>
> wrote:

[snip]

>> As usual I build from the source tarball with my compiler zoo.
>>
>> A test fails with IBM JDK 6, because the test makes wrong assumptions
>> about the implementation details of ArrayList delivered by the runtime:
>> ============ %< ===========
>> Failed tests:

testReflectionHierarchyArrayList(org.apache.commons.lang3.builder.ToStringBuilderTest):
>> null

>> but

>> ============ %< ===========
>
> Can you open up a JIRA Item for this one? I don't think it's a release
> blocker, but we should fix it in 3.0.1.

DONE, LANG-727

[snip]

>> 5/ Distribution Management: Report should be disabled, links are not
>> valid for users
>
> Any idea how?

This is a result from the project-info-reports plugin. It seems we have
currently no explicit configuration for it, but the individual report can be
selected:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-
plugin/examples/selective-project-info-reports.html

These info reports exist and are all generated by default:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-plugin/plugin-
info.html

Since the Distribution Management report in its current form does not make
sense for any Commons component, we might rather configure it in the POM
parent.

>> 6/ Changes Report: Claims 3.0 to be unreleased
>
> Yeah, need to put whatever date the release is when pushing the final site
> up.
>
>> None of this is a blocker though, therefore +1
>
> *cheer* :)

Hehehe.

> I'll aim to hit all before release (bar distribution management); but
> anyone else should feel free to tweak the site. Whenever we
> successfully release I'll deploy a site from trunk instead of the RC'd
> version.

Thought so.

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: [VOTE] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC4)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Hen,
>
> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> Lang is ready to consider 3.0 release again.
>>
>> RC4 is available here:
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang3-3.0-RC4/
>>
>> SVN:
>>
>>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/lang/tags/LANG_3_0_RC4/
>>
>> Maven artifacts:
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang3-3.0-RC4/maven/
>>
>> Website:
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang3-3.0-RC4/site/
>>
>> Note that there is a 2.6->3.0 Clirr report in the site that may prove
>> useful:
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang3-3.0-RC4/site/lang2-lang3-
> clirr--report.html
>>
>> This vote will close no sooner than in 72 hours time, 0500 GMT 16 July
>> 2011.
>>
>> ================
>>   [ ] +1
>>   [ ] -1, with reason
>> ================
>>
>> Hen
>>
>> *fingers crossed - two of my children are younger than the Lang 3.0
>> effort*
>
> As usual I build from the source tarball with my compiler zoo.
>
> A test fails with IBM JDK 6, because the test makes wrong assumptions about
> the implementation details of ArrayList delivered by the runtime:
> ============ %< ===========
> Failed tests:
>  testReflectionHierarchyArrayList(org.apache.commons.lang3.builder.ToStringBuilderTest):
> null
> but
> ============ %< ===========

Can you open up a JIRA Item for this one? I don't think it's a release
blocker, but we should fix it in 3.0.1.

> You're already fixed the issues of the checkstyle report in trunk.
>

> Site problems:
> ==============
>
> 1/ Users Guide, 1: The description misses the fact that Lang3 can be used
> side-by-side with a previous version

Very good point.

> 2/ Users Guide, 2: Head of page contains a link for "lang3.exception.*", but
> no section exists.

Good catch.

> 3/ Release History/release notes for 3.0: The "coloring" fails in the bottom
> of the page due to single quotes in the text

Ditto :)

> 4/ Building: Misses the link for the upgrade notes to 3.0 in the list

Good catch - forgot this page existed :)

> 5/ Distribution Management: Report should be disabled, links are not valid
> for users

Any idea how?

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Hen,