Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by "Lefrancois, Carl" <Ca...@axa-canada.com> on 2008/02/27 18:17:13 UTC

RE : Axis2C suggestions

Hi Senaka, group,

I am getting very little progress getting visual studio 6 debugging to
work.  The workspace and projects are created, and the built DLLs
support my client application correctly.  Debugging still steps into the
wrong lines of the DLLs.

On my workstation, TortoiseSVN gives the same error message as the
command-line svn: PROPFIND could not connect to server svn.apache.org.
Is there some port other than port 80 that is used during the checkout
process?  I am able to see a list of files in firefox using the same URL
[1].  Next I will try manually reading the header files which give me
the C4028 warning (parameter declarations) since there are only a few.
This may help the debugging symbol generator get the line numbers right.
I am very interested in getting the latest code revision but according
to the company helpdesk it is a complicated process if there is a port
to be opened on the firewall.  It seems from dicussions on the mailing
list that 1.3.0 is coming soon so that may happen before I get SVN
access :)

[1]: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/trunk/c/include/

Thanks for clarifying what JIRA is.  I will try using that to submit the
VS6 workspace and projects if there is interest in adding these files to
the project.  Maybe debugging would work for another VS6 developer.

This morning I created a utility for logging exactly what command-line
parameters are passed to cl.exe during build with the makefile (using
build\win32\build.bat) so I am sure the projects I created have the same
flags, except for the /W0 which I changed to /W3. ( /W4 generates some
1300 warnings, mostly regarding unused formal parameters)  I am
attaching the build output with the resulting warnings as requested.  I
hope it helps!

Although it will make my work environment different from the rest of my
team, I will try VS2005 to confirm that debugging works properly in that
environment.  Finding the root cause of wrong lines generated by vs6
precompiler is still an interesting priority for me.

Thanks for all the advice that has been coming from the mailing list.
It is nice seeing an active dev community.

Carl
  _____

"Ce message est confidentiel, a l'usage exclusif du destinataire
ci-dessus et son contenu ne represente en aucun cas un engagement de la
part de AXA, sauf en cas de stipulation expresse et par ecrit de la part
de AXA. Toute publication, utilisation ou diffusion, meme partielle,
doit etre autorisee prealablement. Si vous n'etes pas destinataire de ce
message, merci d'en avertir immediatement l'expediteur."

"This e-mail message is confidential, for the exclusive use of the
addressee and its contents shall not constitute a commitment by AXA,
except as otherwise specifically provided in writing by AXA. Any
unauthorized disclosure, use or dissemination, either whole or partial,
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of the message,
please notify the sender immediately."

Re: RE : Axis2C suggestions

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@wso2.com>.
Hi Carl,

Well, I believe that most causes to your issue is that you are using an
earlier source release. The new makefile would give you no warnings with
/W3, and with /wd4100 and /W4 you should get only around 5. If you use
/W4, you will have to use /wd4100, to avoid that unused formal parameter
warning. Because it is a convention in Axis2/C that causes that warning.
Hope that you'd find most issues solved in the 1.3.0 source distribution.
You can try the pre-release artifacts at, [1].

With concern to your svn issue, I hope that [2] will be helpful.

[1] http://people.apache.org/~dinesh/release/1.3.0/
[2] http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2004-01/0974.shtml

Regards,
Senaka