Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/07 04:13:41 UTC

[DISCUSS] Refer to Trident as "Microbatch API" in docs?

Trident is widely misunderstood. Very few people seem to understand what it is or sometimes even know about it.

One step toward correcting that would be to simply update the docs to replace “Trident” with “Storm Microbatch API (Trident)”.

Would anyone be opposed to updating the docs along those lines?

-Taylor

Re: [DISCUSS] Refer to Trident as "Microbatch API" in docs?

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
I am OK with any improved explanation, but in reality it is transactional, but with coordination around a "batch".  If you look at how Spark does microbatch it is totally different from how Storm does microbatch, each with advantages and disadvantages. I am fine with the change, if we also try to improve the documentation for trident in general, because just calling it microbatch is not enough.  There is little if any documentation around how to use the API, how to write spouts, how to write state stores, how to use existing state stores like the transparent wrappers and pull the data out from the back end that we care about, and really nothing about the architecture of how things work, like the coordination or optimizations, which is critical for debugging and having enough confidence to go to production with this.
I am +1 for changing how we refer to trident in the docs, but I really don't think it is going to make much if any difference without a full set of documentation on trident itself.

- Bobby

     On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 7:53 AM, Brian O'Neill <bo...@alumni.brown.edu> wrote:

absolutely, +1

---
Brian O'Neill
Chief Technology Officer
Health Market Science, a LexisNexis Company
215.588.6024 Mobile ? @boneill42 <http://www.twitter.com/boneill42>

This information transmitted in this email message is for the intended
recipient only and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If
you received this email in error and are not the intended recipient, or
the person responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, please
contact the sender at the email above and delete this email and any
attachments and destroy any copies thereof. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination, copying or other use of, or taking any action in reliance
upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is strictly prohibited.

Posted by Brian O'Neill <bo...@alumni.brown.edu>.
absolutely, +1

---