Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Justin Georgeson <JG...@lgc.com> on 2011/11/07 20:45:37 UTC

RE: difference between unzip task and unzip executable

I started asking this on the user list, but no response, and it seems deeper than just incorrect usage. Apologies if that's what it turns out to be.

I've broken it down into a very basic build.xml and single source code file. The build.xml has a single target to unzip, and run javadoc. I've attached a bz2 archive of the build.xml, the source file, and a -debug log of using the unzip task and relying on the src.zip having been expanded with the native OS unzip command before running. The single source code file implements the javax.naming.Context interface. When run as-is (build-internal-unzip.log) the javadocs do not inherit from javax.naming.Context. If you comment out lines 6 and 7 from build.xml and run 'unzip -d jdk ${JAVA_HOME}/src.zip' and then build (build-external-unzip.log) the javadocs do inherit from javax.naming.Context. I've tried using 'jar xvf ${JAVA_HOME}/src.zip' and that has the same result as using the <unzip> task. The javax/naming/Context.java file is the same (compared MD5 checksums) no matter how I uncompress src.zip.

Posted by Justin Georgeson <JG...@lgc.com>.
Thanks. I've commented below

Tried that by putting the <unzip> in a dedicated target and running Ant once for the unzip target and a second time for the javadoc target, same result. Also, using the ${JAVA_HOME}/bin/jar command to extract src.zip before running the javadoc target also does not generate inherited docs. Conversely, if I replace the <unzip> task with an <exec> task calling /usr/bin/unzip, the javadocs are correct.

> 2. more ant-friendy: use <ant>-task for the <javadoc>-task.

I'm looking at the manual for this and am a little confused as to how to properly use it.

> 3. try the new ant 1.8.2. feature (see snip from manual path-like
> structures below , i didn't try it out until now)
>
> /"Since Ant 1.8.2/ the location attribute can also contain a wildcard in
> its last path component (i.e. it can end in a "*") in order to support
> wildcard CLASSPATHs introduced with Java6. Ant will not expand or
> evaluate the wildcards and the resulting path may not work as anything
> else but a CLASSPATH - or even as a CLASSPATH for a Java VM prior to Java6."

I changed the <pathelement path="${basedir}/jdk"/> to use location instead of path, same result.

As a further point of clarification as to the issue as I currently see it, I think there is some bug in the <unzip> task and/or the jar command provided with the JDK.

If I take Ant out of the picture for generating javadocs, and run the ${JAVA_HOME}/bin/javadoc executable using the arguments listed in a -verbose Ant run, and only use Ant to extract src.zip, the problem exists (also if I use the ${JAVA_HOME}/bin/jar command to extract src.zip). The output of javadoc is just illustrating that there is some so-far undetectable difference in contents from using jar/<unzip> and using unzip executable provided by RedHat built from http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/UnZip.html. The contents produced by jar/<unzip> are ignored by javadoc (both the executable and the Ant task), while the contents produced by /usr/bin/unzip are not ignored by javadoc.

So maybe I'm asking the wrong forum, but it seemed the best place to start, and oracle.com seems hell-bent on keeping me out of their forums.

Posted by Justin Georgeson <JG...@lgc.com>.
Thanks. I've commented below

Posted by Rainer Noack <ra...@noacks.net>.
Hi Justin,

[...]