Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jo...@genpt.com on 2003/08/29 20:28:07 UTC

"org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP" errors after switching from Tomcat 4.1.18LE to 4.1.27

I have some code that worked fine with Tomcat 4.1.18LE but now that I have
upgraded to 4.1.27, I am getting the problems below.  Anyone know what is
going on?  Thanks.

An error occurred at line: 4 in the jsp file:
/forward/order_inquiry_results.jsp

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file

C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\storefront\forward\order_inquiry_results_jsp.java:90:
cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class OrderHdrBean$ResultBean
location: package sfbeans
perchance you meant 'OrderHdrBean.ResultBean'
      sfbeans.OrderHdrBean$ResultBean ResultBean_item = null;
             ^

An error occurred at line: 4 in the jsp file:
/forward/order_inquiry_results.jsp

Generated servlet error:
C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\storefront\forward\order_inquiry_results_jsp.java:92:
cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class OrderHdrBean$ResultBean
location: package sfbeans
perchance you meant 'OrderHdrBean.ResultBean'
        ResultBean_item = (sfbeans.OrderHdrBean$ResultBean)
pageContext.getAttribute("ResultBean_item", PageContext.REQUEST_SCOPE);
                                  ^

An error occurred at line: 4 in the jsp file:
/forward/order_inquiry_results.jsp

Generated servlet error:
C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\storefront\forward\order_inquiry_results_jsp.java:95:
cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class OrderHdrBean$ResultBean
location: package sfbeans
perchance you meant 'OrderHdrBean.ResultBean'
            ResultBean_item = (sfbeans.OrderHdrBean$ResultBean)
java.beans.Beans.instantiate(this.getClass().getClassLoader(),
"sfbeans.OrderHdrBean$ResultBean");
                                      ^
3 errors

        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:130)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:293)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:353)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:370)
        at
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:473)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:190)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:684)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:432)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:356)
        at gpcjde.Context.forward(Context.java:65)
        at gpcjde.OrderInquiryContext.process(OrderInquiryContext.java:32)
        at gpcjde.Context.process(Context.java:40)
        at gpcjde.Environment.process(Environment.java:77)
        at gpcjde.ControllerServlet.doPost(ControllerServlet.java:46)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:256)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2416)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:171)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:601)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:392)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:619)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

How to Install Web Application thru Tomcat Manager (TOMCAT 4.1.27)

Posted by Thana Letchumi <th...@ti.com>.
Hi,

   I have recently installed TOMCAT 4.1.27. I developed a few
applications in a differect directory path from the tomcat installation
path. Initially, I updated the server.xml with my web application path.
But I realize that any update I make to the jar file (located in my
application path/WEB-INF/lib) is not being reflected unless I stop and
start tomcat.
Then, I tried using manager install command to install the web
application and remove the path from the server.xml.

   My command :
http://localhost:8080/manager/install?path=/saw_jav&war=file:/apps/saw_j
av

 It says that the application got installed and I can start/stop it from
the manager. But I still could not get the update in the jar file
reflected after I stop and start the application from the manager.
Furthermore, whenever I stop and start tomcat, the application is gone
from the manager process list and I have to re-install the application
again. I hope someone could advise me on this matter. I need to switch a
few applications in production mode and I can't afford to stop/start
tomcat whenever I make changes to the applications.
Another question, If install a war file, Do I need to create the
directory for the application or is it auto-expandable ?. This is not in
the tomcat installation path .
Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Thana

Failed to Install Web Application thru Tomcat Manager (TOMCAT 4.1.18)

Posted by Thana Letchumi <th...@ti.com>.
Hi,

[...]

Re: "org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP" errors after switching from Tomcat 4.1.18LE to 4.1.27

Posted by Jo...@genpt.com.
Ok, I tried jdk1.4.2_01, but it does not fix the problem.  So, I backed up
to jdk1.4.1_03 which does not have an issue like the one below.

Thanks everyone.

Joe_Rattz@genpt.com
08/29/2003 05:48 PM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>

"Tomcat Users List" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: "org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP"
errors after switching from Tomcat 4.1.18LE to 4.1.27

Ooops, ok I had one other 'significant' change that I failed to mention. I

had also upgraded to jdk1.4.2 from 1.4.1_03.  I thought in my testing I
had eliminated that possibility, but I was wrong.  It looks like there is
a bug in jdk1.4.2 that is causing my problem.  I am basing that on the
following message:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=136&thread=429766&tstart=0&trange=15

His usage is different than mine, but it looks like the ultimate problem
and cause were the same, the compiler could not compile classes containing

inner classes in some circumstances.  So, I uninstalled Tomcat 4.1.27,
changed my JAVA_HOME back to jdk 1.4.1_03 and reinstalled Tomcat 4.1.27
and everything is working fine again.

Tuesday I am going to try the new jdk1.4.2_01 and see if the bug still
exists in it.  I'll post back afterwards with an update.

Thanks.

Joe_Rattz@genpt.com
08/29/2003 02:28 PM
Please respond to