Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Simon Funnell <si...@googlemail.com> on 2009/11/25 16:32:47 UTC

Release Date

Hi,

I've been working on a few wiki pages and feel as if I am at a juncture.
I've been looking at the version 3 code base (rather than version 2...)
and getting a better idea of the big picture. I would like to expand the
documentation further but would like some feedback as to whether they
are appropriate descriptions. It's a little bit sketchy and there are a
few things I have missed because I haven't had time to look them up yet,
but I think its fairly comprehensive. I think the JamesUserTypes is
important because this is how I currently view/manage James (and other
projects).

http://wiki.apache.org/james/JamesUserTypes
http://wiki.apache.org/james/JamesTools
http://wiki.apache.org/james/JamesArchitecture

James weakest point, and something I would certainly like help to
improve is the Administrator services, which are basically, very
minimal. I think its important to stress that large parts of the
configuration, basically the mailet configuration and related items,
while it is a configuration, it is more importantly a
organisation/business application. This aspect of the configuration
changes regularly and needs to be deployable, like a web application.

The version 3 code base is much better and has encouraged me a lot,
there is a lot more reusable stuff. It has also convinced me that
Platformed can be of significant benefit to James. Platformed is not
comparable to Guice and unfortunately a lot of inversion of control
containers are indeed injection frameworks. Platformed is not an
injection framework, it is a multi-threaded server application framework
and it uses, amongst other things, injection. At this stage, I am still
happy to create documentation in a non-obtrusive manner as this will
allow me to offer more constructive propositions.

Is there an expected release date for version 3?

Regards,

Simon

Re: Release Date

Posted by Simon Funnell <si...@googlemail.com>.
Ok, I can continue with what I am doing for version 3, what I am doing
is fairly useful regardless. I will try to relate the concepts to the
code base in the documentation as I come to understand it more.

Thanks,

Simon

Re: Release Date

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.