Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by jun liu <ke...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/04 08:52:30 UTC

Re: [Discuss] "develop" branch for incompatible or long-term developing features

Hi All,

According to the discussion, I will create a new branch 2.6.x from the master and update master to 2.7.0-SNAPSHOT:
* master: 2.7.x
* 2.6.x: 2.6.x
* 2.5.x: 2.5.x

Since 2.5.x is basically compatible with 2.6.x, it seems to be an unnecessary version differentiation. So I think we should announce the EOL deadline of 2.5.x shortly.

Keeping two mutually incompatible versions evolve at the same time will inevitably bring additional workload to the Dubbo team. So we may need to figure out which patch goes against which branch beforehand. For example, new features and incompatible changes only occur in 2.7.x, while enhancements or bugfixes going to both versions.

Best regards,
Jun