Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/08 04:48:27 UTC

Replacing our Http Impl with Jetty (Was: WebServices too long result)

I am bringing this thread to the dev list. David made an interesting comment
(see below) about Jetty (it should be used in production instead of our Http
Imp). This got me thinking as to why were we using our impl if Jetty was
already available. I was not sure about this and was going to post a
question on this. Incidentally during a chat with Dain , he mentioned that
we should mainly start using Jetty as our Http impl.

I am thinking, if  the D's prefer Jetty, is there a reason we are still
using our Http Impl?

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 7:54 PM, David Blevins <da...@visi.com>wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2008, at 5:34 AM, Karan Malhi wrote:
>
>  You are not doing anything wrong (I was able to reproduce this scenario ).
>> This is a bug which does not handle the situation when the web service
>> returns back large results. Adding Jetty to the classpath would fix the
>> issue, however if you do not want to add Jetty to the classpath, then you
>> would need to wait a bit before this bug is fixed.
>>

> I'd strongly recommend adding the jetty library.  Our impl is really for
> simple testing, anything heavy-duty should use the jetty transport.  If you
> just add the jetty jars to the classpath (or an openejb/lib/ dir) we will
> automatically detect jetty and hook everything up for you automagically.
>
> -David
>
>  On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 5:30 PM, hofmanndavid <ho...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I have a webservice exposed in a embedded openejb, from another computer
>>> am
>>> calling that webservice
>>>
>>> the scenario is this:
>>> I am calling a method signature like this
>>> String myMethod(String arg)
>>>
>>> if the answer of myMethod is too long it shows the next exception, if it
>>> is
>>> not too long, it just works, the exception does not come from the
>>> implementation of the method of the webservice, it raised in the cilent I
>>> think.
>>>
>>> I am not sure if I am doing something wrong, the code I use is based in
>>> the
>>> simple-webservice pattern, no new things where added
>>>
>>> I will greatly appreciate an answer :)
>>>
>>> 05/08/2008 04:53:28 PM
>>> org.apache.cxf.service.factory.ReflectionServiceFactoryBean
>>> buildServiceFromWSDL
>>> INFO: Creating Service {http://10.129.6.137/wsdl}GemConnectWSService<
>>> http://10.129.6.137/wsdl%7DGemConnectWSService>from
>>> WSDL: http://10.129.6.137:4204/GemConnectWSImpl?wsdl
>>> 05/08/2008 <http://10.129.6.137:4204/GemConnectWSImpl?wsdl05/08/2008>04:53:29
>>> PM org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain
>>>
>>> doIntercept
>>> INFO: Interceptor has thrown exception, unwinding now
>>> org.apache.cxf.interceptor.Fault: Could not create
>>> XMLStreamReader(encoding

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: Replacing our Http Impl with Jetty (Was: WebServices too long result)

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:

> I'd like to get rid our our implementation.  The only real drawback I see
> is the distribution will get 1-2MB bigger.

Personally, I do not mind a slightly bigger distribution. It will definitely
solve a big issue of handling large results from web services and anything
involving http. If everybody agrees upon it, it would be nice to have this
change before 3.1 is released.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
I think this is what David told me when I first made the Jetty impl is
the default for our http service.
Well, I think 1-2 MB added to OpenEJB is not so much cost to have a
production stable binaries. And We can make two set of binaries for
end users, 1) w/o Jetty for playing and testing 2) With Jetty for more
real applications, and for people compiling the source code we can
provide a JVM property to build openejb with or w/o Jetty.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: Replacing our Http Impl with Jetty (Was: WebServices too long result)

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.