Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by Ivan Ivankovic <iv...@pamet.co.yu> on 2006/11/16 18:42:28 UTC

Cache problem after delete

Hi,

I worked with Torque only for past 2 weeks, and I found it very useful.

I use Torque 3.0 with Postgres and have following problem:

After deleting some concrete object with usual
ClassNamePeer.doDelete(objectToDelete), I can still see it in database when
querying for that objects information with plain JDBC.

When I use any of Torque query methods, via Criteria or retrieveByPK(key),
object seems to be erased, but some parts of application I am working on use
JDBC so I can't rewrite all code to use Torque
BasePeer.executeQuery(queryString). Database data for this object can also
be seen from Squirrel JDBC browser which of course uses plain JDBC.

I suppose that Torque has some delayed deletion mechanism and I need some
way to make him do the actual deletion completely from database. Is there
some kind of "flush" to achieve this?

Regards,

Ivanko

RE: Cache problem after delete

Posted by Ivan Ivankovic <iv...@pamet.co.yu>.
Thanks Thomas and all of you guys. I see you understood my problem and last
post from Thomas seems to be the answer.

If I experience some more problems with Torque 3.2 be sure I will let you
now :)

Thanks again!
Ivanko

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.
Ivan,

Posted by Michael Manske <ne...@manskes.de>.
Hi Ivan,

Posted by Ivan Ivankovic <iv...@pamet.co.yu>.
Thanks for answering; I already tried Criteria deletion, although my object
and corresponding database table have PK. It didn't work.

JDBC and Torque DB paths are the same.

Torque version is old, but I am programmer not DB administrator so I can't
make migration myself. Sure, after this issue I'll ask for newer Torque.

The thing that's happening here is obviously some delayed deletion. It
reminds me of write-back method used in hardware cache memories (some other
methods use write-through). After writing, data is only invalidated and
first time processor asks for that data real write is done and updated data
is provided back to processor.

Like so, when I ask for deleted object via Torque real deletion happens and
data is not reachable neither by Torque nor JDBC. It is only strange to me
that there is not some "flush" or write-through command to keep Torque and
JDBC in sync.

If you say that Torque doesn't have delay than it could something with
Postgres.

Anyway if you have some more ideas I'll be happy to hear (read) them, while
waiting for newer Torque to be installed.

Regards,
Ivanko

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.