Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au> on 2005/02/14 02:54:59 UTC

[ANN] Menu component

I've created a drop down menu component if anyone is interested.  More
information is available here:

http://www.jroller.com/page/gstamp/20050214

and

http://metamorphosis.krysalis.org/krysalis-menu/

Hopefully I'll figure out the SF release process and get a package built
soon but for now you'll have to get it from CVS.

Regards,

Glen Stampoultzis

Re: [ANN] Menu component

Posted by Christian Sprecher <ch...@bluepenguin.ch>.
sorry for the wrong linkage ...

Re: [ANN] Menu component

Posted by Albert Kwong <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [ANN] Menu component

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
Christian Sprecher wrote:

>What is your plan for dynamic creation of items and their respective
>children? would you consider to use a model like the tree component does?
>or even use the same one?

I'd probably use sometime similar to tree component.  I'm open to
suggestions.

>I was looking around a bit and found the jsdomenu to be quite impressive
>(see http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/jsdomenu/) , I specially
>liked the notion of context sensitive menus.

That's GPL right?

>So now I am torn between going on with my menu (as crappy as it is, but
>hey, my first tapestry component), using yours or integrating jsdomenu
>(which might be a huge task). May I humbly ask wether you created the
>javascript part yourself, or did you start from somewhere?

The Javascript was written from scratch.  I had trouble finding a menu
that worked the way I wanted AND had a good license so I wrote my own.

Re: [ANN] Menu component

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
>So now I am torn between going on with my menu

Totally up to you but if you'd like join together that would be cool
with me.

Regards,

Glen

Re: [ANN] Menu component

Posted by Kevin Menard <ni...@negativetwenty.net>.
Hi Christian,

On Feb 15, 2005, at 4:00 PM, Christian Sprecher wrote:

> So now I am torn between going on with my menu (as crappy as it is, but
> hey, my first tapestry component), using yours or integrating jsdomenu
> (which might be a huge task). May I humbly ask wether you created the
> javascript part yourself, or did you start from somewhere?

Might I suggest that if you decide to go with your own implementation,
that the structure remain as close to Glen's as possible?  One of the
great things about Tapestry is that components are generally easy to
write and easy to use.  The problem is, they're not compatible with one
another -- something I was steering at in the recent CMS Components
thread (actually, I started complaining about it with the various tree
components over the summer).  E.g., say I'm using Glen's component for
some project, and then find that the menu structure in yours better
suits my needs.  It would be awesome if I could just change one line in
the page specification and get your new functionality.

Anyway, just throwing that out there for consideration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: [ANN] Menu component

Posted by Christian Sprecher <ch...@bluepenguin.ch>.
What is your plan for dynamic creation of items and their respective
children? would you consider to use a model like the tree component does?
or even use the same one?

I was looking around a bit and found the jsdomenu to be quite impressive
(see http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/jsdomenu/) , I specially
liked the notion of context sensitive menus.

So now I am torn between going on with my menu (as crappy as it is, but
hey, my first tapestry component), using yours or integrating jsdomenu
(which might be a huge task). May I humbly ask wether you created the
javascript part yourself, or did you start from somewhere?

cheers

cs

Annotea

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.
After I wrote my post I searched net and have found Annotea. It
addresses exactly the problem. Unfortunately I do not share your
optimism regarding wide availability of it in the near future because:
- it requires a server. Could not get it, why - client is perfectly
capable of merging two or more feeds, original content and arbitrary
number of remarks;
- they try to be too generic, maybe 'good enough' approach is just what
we need initially. I mean that magority of problems arises because of
liquid nature of web -content. Imposing 'reasonable' limitations on
content might help, and sometimes no limitations are necessary: take a
published book as an example, it is frozen and there is nothing wrong
with it.
- I am very dissapointed with Adobe, they recently announced merging
technology and server that requires ENORMOUS hardware comparing to task
that was doable by Word 6 on Win 3.11 on i386
http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=30743

But I love the idea....

Samppa Saarela wrote:

> Have you heard about RDF or Semantic Web? W3C has a project called
> Annotea which addresses this very issue. It's been implemented in
> Amaya-browser. This solution has a metadata server for annotations so
> threre's no need to update everyone's copy of the document. The
> documents annotated are referenced by URI - as everything in RDF. Even
> Adobe is already using RDF for metadata (see
> http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/main.html) so maybe this kind of
> sharing of annotations will be reality soon enough :-)
>
> For more information visit for example these sites
> http://www.w3.org/2001/Annotea/http://iswc2004.semanticweb.org/demos/04/
> http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?articleID=00048144-10D2-1C70-84A9809EC588EF21&catID=2Another
> cool RDF/SW-application is Haystack: http://haystack.lcs.mit.edu/-Samppa

>> Yes, I am looking for distributed and shareable analog of this
>> functionality. IMO blogs and wikis fall short when comments refer to
>> big documents: books, big articles etc.
>> I love to read commented books, they connect me to previous readers
>> and inspire new thoughts and focus me on things I might overlook
>> otherwise.

>> That is the problem. I dream about ability to see all the available
>> comment sets at publisher place and choose which one(s) to apply( or
>> all). I would like to publish my comments and send them to my
>> friends, so somebody will be able to merge them with original source
>> and quickly jump from comment to comment and see exact places in the
>> original document they reference.
>>
>> I imagine something like extended Wiki document which is 'locked' by
>> author and commentators comment exact sentences, which get visual
>> mark, that expands into a popup when clicked ( great appliance for
>> overlib.js)
>>
>> Jonathan O'Connor wrote:
>>
>>> I thought you could do that with PDF files. I think you need Adobe
>>> Acrobat. Of course, you will probably want to publich those
>>> comments, and unless you can update everyone's copy of the PDF, then
>>> that won't work.
>>> Ciao,
>>> Jonathan O'Connor
>>> XCOM Dublin

Konstantin Ignatyev

http://www.kgionline.com

PS: If this is a typical day on planet earth, humans will add fifteen million tons of carbon to the atmosphere, destroy 115 square miles of tropical rainforest, create seventy-two miles of desert, eliminate between forty to one hundred species, erode seventy-one million tons of topsoil, add 2.700 tons of CFCs to the stratosphere, and increase their population by 263.000

Bowers, C.A.  The Culture of Denial:
Why the Environmental Movement Needs a Strategy for Reforming Universities and Public Schools.
New York:  State University of New York Press, 1997: (4) (5) (p.206)

Re: Best practices

Posted by Samppa Saarela <Sa...@cs.Helsinki.FI>.

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jonathan O'Connor <Jo...@xcom.de>.

Re: Best practices

Posted by Konstantin Ignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Best practices

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Best practices

Posted by Juan Esteban Maya <jm...@gmail.com>.
Any Tapestry Best practices references on the net?

Re: [ANN] Menu component

Posted by Gernot Stocker <ge...@tugraz.at>.
Hi,
I asked last week about the necessity of a general menu component and
I didn't get much feedback. But now it seems to be of more interest :-) ...
why dont't we start with a new component which has the same model in the
back and can have different faces in the front.
I already started implementing a simple model for a menu last week and may
be we can merge the components together.

Gernot

Re: [ANN] Menu component

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> I agree... it looks great!  Nice work, Glen.

Thanks... some of the Javascript is a bit yucky but I'll be trying to
clean that up going forward.

> Is it possible, and how if so, to dynamically create the MenuItem's in
> code?

Not possible with the current version... although I think it's an
excellent feature to add.  I'll need to create some sort of model
structure.  I'll probably look at implementing that next actually -
right after I get around to loading the 0.1 version to SF.

Regards,

Glen

Re: [ANN] Menu component

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Re: [ANN] Menu component

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

<gs...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I've created a drop down menu component if anyone is interested.  More
> information is available here:
>
> http://www.jroller.com/page/gstamp/20050214
>
> and
>
> http://metamorphosis.krysalis.org/krysalis-menu/
>
> Hopefully I'll figure out the SF release process and get a package built
> soon but for now you'll have to get it from CVS.
>
> Regards,
>
> Glen Stampoultzis

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry