Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net> on 2020/03/09 10:54:40 UTC

11.3 - Can't use "Package As" with Ant project any more

I found it very convenient to use the "Package as Image Only" feature in the past.

I have an old Ant-based project where this used to work, but when I tried it with the latest NetBeans 11.3, it fails because NetBeans tries to use some JavaFX classes.

The error message I get when invoking "Package as -> Image Only" is:

   ....\nbproject\build-native.xml:519: typedef class com.sun.javafx.tools.ant.FXJar cannot be found
    using the classloader AntClassLoader[]

Is there a way I can disable the use of JavaFX for building the image?

I also tried adding JavaFX to the project as documented here: https://openjfx.io/openjfx-docs/#IDE-NetBeans but that doesn't make a difference.

Is there anything else I need to configure, to make this work?

Just to avoid confusion: I do not want to use JavaFX in my application or create an image that can use JavaFX.
I only want to create a binary distribution for a Java SE Swing application.

I am running NetBeans with OpenJDK 13, but the target platform is Java 11.

Thanks
Thomas

Re: 11.3 - Can't use "Package As" with Ant project any more

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Give it a try, see if it meets your needs.

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
That functionality appears to be related to JavaFX (
http://marxsoftware.blogspot.com/2013/11/native-java-packaging-with-netbeans-74.html),
which is no longer in the JDK, which may explain why it doesn't work (i.e.,
isn't supported anymore). The related user interface items should be
removed from NetBeans to avoid confusion.

However, since JDK 14, a new packaging tool is available:

https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/343

You should already be able to use that from the JDK 14 command line:

https://www.infoq.com/news/2019/03/jep-343-jpackage/

And work is planned to be done for creating user interface elements, i.e.,
integration in NetBeans:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Planning%3A+12.0

Gj

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net>.