Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Juergen Hermann <jh...@web.de> on 2005/07/15 08:17:27 UTC

Re: Creating tasks in Ant for C++ project

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:32:54 -0700 (PDT), hiren patel wrote:

>    is it easy to create custom tasks in Ant to achieve the functionaly as
provided by make ?
>I want to move from make to ANT , so do you have an idea that what it takes
to convert the
>existing makefile to Ant files?

with scripting languages, it is easy.

Ciao, Jürgen

Re: Creating tasks in Ant for C++ project

Posted by Juergen Hermann <jh...@web.de>.
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:32:42 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:

>> >    is it easy to create custom tasks in Ant
>> with scripting languages, it is easy.
>Really??

Writing custom tasks is easy.

>Make is essentially a declarative language where the make engine deduces
>from the available facts (file timestamps) and rules what commands to
>execute.

Ant is and does the same; where the defaults fail, you can use <dependset>s.

>Ant is a much more conventional approach, more like custom
>shell-scripting of commands to perform a build.

Not in my POV. make is the tool that exposes the underlying shell in a
pretty unportable way (one reason why such things like autoconf/make have
been invented).

BTW, the only REAL declarative language I know in wide use is SQL. All the
others (Prolog, XSLT, Ant, ...) are functional under a shallow declarative
crusting. And even with SQL, you're lost w/o knowing the query plans if you
work in real-world high-preformance environments.

Ciao, Jürgen

Re: Creating tasks in Ant for C++ project

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 08:17 +0200, Juergen Hermann wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:32:54 -0700 (PDT), hiren patel wrote:
>
> >    is it easy to create custom tasks in Ant to achieve the functionaly as
> provided by make ?
> >I want to move from make to ANT , so do you have an idea that what it takes
> to convert the
> >existing makefile to Ant files?
>
> with scripting languages, it is easy.

Really??

Make is essentially a declarative language where the make engine deduces
from the available facts (file timestamps) and rules what commands to
execute.

Ant is a much more conventional approach, more like custom
shell-scripting of commands to perform a build.

I would have thought that converting from one approach to the other
would have been a major project...

Regards,

Simon