Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Rajiv Kurian <ra...@signalfx.com> on 2015/12/01 17:51:39 UTC

Any gotchas upgrading to 0.9?

I plan to upgrade both the server and clients to 0.9. Had a few questions
before I went ahead with the upgrade:

1. Do all brokers need to be on 0.9? Currently we are running 0.8.2. We'd
ideally like to convert only a few brokers to 0.9 and only if we don't see
problems convert the rest.

2. Is it possible to run Kafka 0.9 clients (specifically the consumer) with
Kafka 0.8.2 brokers?

Any link to the upgrade path would be really useful.

Thanks,
Rajiv

Re: Any gotchas upgrading to 0.9?

Posted by Rajiv Kurian <ra...@signalfx.com>.
Scratch that. On more careful observation I do see this in the logs:

 inter.broker.protocol.version = 0.8.2.X

Posted by Rajiv Kurian <ra...@signalfx.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: Any gotchas upgrading to 0.9?

Posted by Rajiv Kurian <ra...@signalfx.com>.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Aditya Auradkar <aa...@linkedin.com>.
Rajiv,

Posted by Todd Snyder <ts...@blackberry.com>.
The quota page is here: http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#design_quotas

"By default, each unique client-id receives a fixed quota in bytes/sec as configured by the cluster (quota.producer.default, quota.consumer.default)"

I also noticed there's been a change in the replication configuration while reading: http://www.confluent.io/blog/hands-free-kafka-replication-a-lesson-in-operational-simplicity/

It may not break anything, but it may impact how you decide to configure and monitor replication

"Now there is only one value you need to configure on the server which is replica.lag.time.max.ms. The interpretation of this has changed to be the time for which a replica has been out-of-sync with the leader. Stuck or failed replicas are detected the same way as before - if a replica fails to send a fetch request for longer than replica.lag.time.max.ms, it is considered dead and is removed from the ISR. The mechanism of detecting slow replicas has changed - if a replica starts lagging behind the leader for longer than replica.lag.time.max.ms, then it is considered too slow and is removed from the ISR. So even if there is a spike in traffic and large batches of messages are written on the leader, unless the replica consistently remains behind the leader for replica.lag.time.max.ms, it will not shuffle in and out of the ISR."

Posted by Rajiv Kurian <ra...@signalfx.com>.

Posted by Rajiv Kurian <ra...@signalfx.com>.