Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jo...@fwd.at on 2003/03/28 16:03:31 UTC

Re-reading of web.xml during a reload with manager app

hi there,

in the Manager App howto, paragraph on "Reload an existing Application"
the following is quoted:
"NOTE: The /WEB-INF/web.xml web application configuration file is not
reread on a reload. If you have made changes to your web.xml file you must
stop then start the web application. "

However, after I stop and start a web application after I made changes to
the env-entry in its web.xml file, the new value doesn't show up.
After stopping and starting Tomcat as a whole, it changes in env-entry
values show up perfectly.
Is this a bug?

Excerpt from web.xml:
 <env-entry>
      <env-entry-name>testvaluewebxml</env-entry-name>
      <env-entry-value>1</env-entry-value>
      <env-entry-type>java.lang.String</env-entry-type>
    </env-entry>

Code section to read testvaluewebxml:
try {
        Context globalctx = new InitialContext();
        String envEntry = null;

        envEntry = (String)
globalctx.lookup("java:comp/env/testvaluewebxml");
        out.println("envEntry testvaluewebxml: " + envEntry);
} catch (Exception e) {
        out.println("<li>Cannot get env-entry on JNDI " + e + "</li>");
        return;
}

Can anybody else verify this behaviour? What do I have to have changes in
env-entry in web.xml show up without restarting tomcat as a whole (what I
wanted to avoid to allow high availability).

thx.
Johannes