Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Taylor Gautier <tg...@terracottatech.com> on 2007/08/26 17:53:48 UTC

questions regarding svn metadata (.svn)

I'm trying to figure out a few things about the .svn directories.  I
can't seem to find much about them...I've searched around on Google, SVN
docs, Forums,  and Mailing Lists.  It's hard to search for because I am
not sure what keywords people use when talking about them.  Searching
for .svn is a bit useless...

So:

* have there ever been any discussions about using a different style for
storing the metadata - e.g. ala perforce - instead of .svn files/dirs
everywhere?  I don't want to start a new discussion on this topic
without having read any existing discourse

* are there any good sources for how to hide this information from
everyday unix tools like find and so on (I know how to use various
parameters, or | grep -v svn --- but I want something a bit more
automatic)?

Thanks!

Re: questions regarding svn metadata (.svn)

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Miller, Eric wrote:

> [...]

Eric, I don't know of any associated issue in the tracker, but you can
find a long discussion on the dev list:

 http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=dev&msgNo=123070

The feeling from that thread was that we'll probably try this for 1.6.
Of course, this is an open source, volunteer-run project and all that...

RE: questions regarding svn metadata (.svn)

Posted by "Miller, Eric" <Er...@amd.com>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
On Aug 26, 2007, at 12:16 PM, Charles Acknin wrote:

> On 8/26/07, Taylor Gautier <tg...@terracottatech.com> wrote:
>> * have there ever been any discussions about using a different
>> style for
>> storing the metadata - e.g. ala perforce - instead of .svn files/dirs
>> everywhere?  I don't want to start a new discussion on this topic
>> without having read any existing discourse
>
> I don't know about previous talks (though you can browse/search this
> mailing list archives), but svk deals with those directories
> differently.  It's worth having a look.

We're planning to centralize all the administrative data for a WC at
the top of the WC, and provide a 'svn detach' command to allow for
severable sub-directories.  The WC data storage format will probably
change drastically when we do this, likely moving into something like
sqlite.  The information we track will likely be a superset of what's
tracked today in all the .svn dirs.

>> * are there any good sources for how to hide this information from
>> everyday unix tools like find and so on (I know how to use various
>> parameters, or | grep -v svn --- but I want something a bit more
>> automatic)?
>
> I use 'wcfind' sometime
> (http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/client-side/wcfind), a
> find(1) wrapper using -prune option to hide .svn and CVS dirs.

I use wcgrep quite often.

Re: questions regarding svn metadata (.svn)

Posted by Charles Acknin <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 8/26/07, Taylor Gautier <tg...@terracottatech.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out a few things about the .svn directories.  I
> can't seem to find much about them...I've searched around on Google, SVN
> docs, Forums,  and Mailing Lists.  It's hard to search for because I am
> not sure what keywords people use when talking about them.  Searching
> for .svn is a bit useless...

It's called the Working Copy Administration Area, a.k.a.
Administrative Area.  The first place to search is the svnbook which
you can find online.  You especially want to look here:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.developer.insidewc.html first.

> So:
>
> * have there ever been any discussions about using a different style for
> storing the metadata - e.g. ala perforce - instead of .svn files/dirs
> everywhere?  I don't want to start a new discussion on this topic
> without having read any existing discourse

I don't know about previous talks (though you can browse/search this
mailing list archives), but svk deals with those directories
differently.  It's worth having a look.

> * are there any good sources for how to hide this information from
> everyday unix tools like find and so on (I know how to use various
> parameters, or | grep -v svn --- but I want something a bit more
> automatic)?

I use 'wcfind' sometime
(http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/client-side/wcfind), a
find(1) wrapper using -prune option to hide .svn and CVS dirs.

Cheers,
Charles