Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com> on 2001/03/12 09:31:23 UTC

Re: cvs commit: xml-xalan/java/src/org/apache/xpath/patterns NodeTest.java

sboag@apache.org wrote:

> sboag       01/03/11 22:29:29
>
>   Modified:    java/src/org/apache/xpath/patterns NodeTest.java
>   Log:
>   Xerces at some point decided to use "" instead
>   of null for null namespaces.  There has been a
>   discussion between Gary Peskin in
>   Joe Kessleman on xalan-dev about this,
>   but I hadn't been fully keeping up the the
>   thread that well, and missed it's relation to
>   this problem.  I include some of the discussion
>   at the end of this note.  I made Xalan be able to
>   compare a "" namespace to null for now, until
>   we get this resolved.

Scott --

I have no problems with this patch for now but we should keep in mind
that it needs to be removed at some point if we want to comply with the
DOM spec.

What I think is happening is that Xerces is reporting the default
namespaceURI as "" (which is incorrect) when schema validation is turned
on and as null (which is correct) when schema validation is turned off
or there is no schema.

This patch erroneously treats the "" namespace URI as equivalent to a
null URI which is okay for now but not correct.

Gary