Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Farr, Aaron" <Aa...@am.sony.com> on 2003/06/27 17:56:43 UTC

Avalon Commons?

Hello.

I've been digging in the Jakarta commons cvs and it occurred to me that the
new avalon-component cvs module is essentially an Avalon Commons.  It might
make sense to explain it this way on the web site in order to help users
makes sense of the cvs repositories.  Additionally it could be added to the
list of "Related Components @Apache" on the Jakarta Commons web site:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html

Second point is that you can find all sorts of odd things in Jakarta Commons
(especially the sandbox cvs).  Does anyone know about HiveMind?  Apparently
it's being actively developed and it sounds a lot like Avalon:

[from
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/hivemind/xdocs/ind
ex.xml ]

In summary, HiveMind is a tightly written, highly dynamic microkernel based
on proven open-source technologies.  It is a superior way to architect an
application,
one that supports very aggresive refactoring.
HiveMind combines together a number of modules to form a registry of
services
and configurations.  Each module consists of:
 Service extension points
 Service contributions
 Configuration extension points
 Configuration contributions

I haven't looked at the code much, but the docs make it sound a lot like
Avalon.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM
  (724) 696-7653

Re: Avalon Commons?

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Farr, Aaron wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've been digging in the Jakarta commons cvs and it occurred to me that the
> new avalon-component cvs module is essentially an Avalon Commons.  It might
> make sense to explain it this way on the web site in order to help users
> makes sense of the cvs repositories.

yep.

> Additionally it could be added to the
> list of "Related Components @Apache" on the Jakarta Commons web site:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html

yep.

> Second point is that you can find all sorts of odd things in Jakarta Commons
> (especially the sandbox cvs).  Does anyone know about HiveMind?  Apparently
> it's being actively developed and it sounds a lot like Avalon

people reinvent the wheel all the time, it's been known to happen over
here as well :D

cheers!

- Leo

Re: Avalon Commons?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Farr, Aaron wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've been digging in the Jakarta commons cvs and it occurred to me that the
> new avalon-component cvs module is essentially an Avalon Commons.  It might
> make sense to explain it this way on the web site in order to help users
> makes sense of the cvs repositories.  Additionally it could be added to the
> list of "Related Components @Apache" on the Jakarta Commons web site:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html
>
> Second point is that you can find all sorts of odd things in Jakarta Commons
> (especially the sandbox cvs).  Does anyone know about HiveMind?  Apparently
> it's being actively developed and it sounds a lot like Avalon:
>
> [from
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/hivemind/xdocs/ind
> ex.xml ]
>
> In summary, HiveMind is a tightly written, highly dynamic microkernel based
> on proven open-source technologies.  It is a superior way to architect an
> application,
> one that supports very aggresive refactoring.
> HiveMind combines together a number of modules to form a registry of
> services
> and configurations.  Each module consists of:
>  Service extension points
>  Service contributions
>  Configuration extension points
>  Configuration contributions
>
> I haven't looked at the code much, but the docs make it sound a lot like
> Avalon.

Hmm. They do...

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin