Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/11 11:56:38 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 1.6.0-rc.1

while COUCHDB-1986 is not closed yet but all tests pass so far. Imo we
should relaunch a new release vote including

Imo we can't know if COUCHDB-1986 is really fixed for now due to the
comment, the fact that all tests pass using the combination of the 2
commits (bit not with one or the other alone) is mysterious. However
they are fixing real issues so i would release now with them instead
of waiting more.

Thoughts?

- benoit

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
+1

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de
http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 1.6.0-rc.1

Posted by Nick North <no...@gmail.com>.
I'm up for some (more) debugging to try to track down the large attachments
problem. This is a fairly busy week, but I am free all day Wednesday if
that works. I'm also setting up a local FreeBSD machine to try it out
myself, but Windows Hyper-V is giving some problems.

Nick

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 7:57 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> wrote:
> I propose to the illustrious Release Manager (Long May They Reign) to
> dump the 1.6.x branch unceremoniously & cut a new one from current
> master, assuming Fauxton etc are able to work with this?

Why do we think master will work and 1.6.x won't? If we know why, why
not cherry-pick those?

(I have nothing against cutting a new branch, I think it would make a
lot of sense... but we really should be better about actually tracking
down failures.)

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 1.6.0-rc.1

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick North <no...@gmail.com>.
Not at my PC just now so can't check the exact branch name that speeds up attachment parsing, but I think it's 1953. It does seem to make some difference to that test (though it's not a fix), and is in master but I wasn't sure if I should merge it to 1.6, so it is not currently there.

Nick

Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@posteo.de>.

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
Hi,

Dirkjan asked me if we are ready for 1.6-rc.2 via IRC. So there is still
the issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1986 and I am not
quite sure, what my findings mean for running a next rc. The summary of my
findings are:

* I tested against master 5989bb324a and all tests pass
* I tested against 1986-fix-ibrowse-infinite-async-timeout b35884580
and ./test/etap/200-view-group-no-db-leaks.t fails
* rerun with the last one results also in the same error
* I tested against 1.6 branch and 04-replication-large-atts.t fails
* I tested against 1994-merge-rcouch branch and make check fails
* I tested 1.6 with recbuf -define(RECBUF_SIZE, 8192 * 4).
and 04-replication-large-atts.t fails
* I tested 1.6 with recbuf -define(RECBUF_SIZE, 8192 * 8). and all tests
pass

Everything has been tested on my Mac Book (OS X 10.9.2) with
Erlang R16B03-1 (erts-5.10.4)

Am I the only person who has these problems? We should finde a solution and
decision if we go for 1.6-rc.2 or not.

Cheers

Andy

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de
http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 1.6.0-rc.1

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 1.6.0-rc.1

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
On 17 February 2014 11:25, Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>
> wrote:
> >> However I don't think we have a successful `make distcheck` on FreeBSD
> >> 10 yet
> >
> > This sounds like reason to hold off, if someone steps up to fix it? If
> > not, I should probably just go ahead.
>
> Any comments on this? Can anyone with access to FreeBSD step up? Do we
> want to not support FreeBSD 10 on our 1.6 release? We need some
> movement here.

afaik we supported FreeBSD 10 with earlier versions. Droppping the support
with 1.6 (even when it would just be for a short time) is not what we
should do. As Dave stated, he will not be able to work on a fix until
March. But maybe Alex can find time to do some work.

I am -1 of dropping the BSD support but +1 to first fix it.

Cheers

Andy

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de
http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 1.6.0-rc.1

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 11 February 2014 12:17, Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Imo we can't know if COUCHDB-1986 is really fixed for now due to the
>> comment, the fact that all tests pass using the combination of the 2
>> commits (bit not with one or the other alone) is mysterious. However
>> they are fixing real issues so i would release now with them instead
>> of waiting more.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> SGTM.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dirkjan

Hi Dirkjan, all,

Go for it.

I don't think we should be delaying a release unless:

- we have a clear regression that is not addressed
- we can't build on a supported platform
- we've got an accepted blocking ticket open

i.e. shipping improved software regularly is to me more important than
having all open JIRA tickets addressed[1].

However I don't think we have a successful `make distcheck` on FreeBSD
10 yet, & unfortunately I've not got time before mid March (!) to do
further work on FreeBSD 10 issues - you'll notice I'm even hiding from
IRC! There are a number of other recent & potential fixes in ibrowse,
which is not yet tagged v4.0.3 they may also be of use. BTW Alex has
access to the box and I'm happy to provide that to any community
member who wishes to help out.
[1]: http://www.hyrumwright.org/papers/floss2009.pdf BTW this paper
from the svn team in 2009 is worth a read

A+
Dave

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 1.6.0-rc.1

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Imo we can't know if COUCHDB-1986 is really fixed for now due to the
> comment, the fact that all tests pass using the combination of the 2
> commits (bit not with one or the other alone) is mysterious. However
> they are fixing real issues so i would release now with them instead
> of waiting more.
>
> Thoughts?

SGTM.

Cheers,