Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by dsetrakyan <ds...@apache.org> on 2015/10/16 02:01:45 UTC

Re: Can Apache Ignite be used in production Environment?

Hi Sridhar,

Please properly subscribe to the user list by sending an email to
"user-subscribe@ignite.apache.org" and following the instructions in the
reply. This way everyone in the community will get notified whenever you
post questions.

sridhar77 wrote
> Since it has just come under ASF, I want to know how many companies are
> using Apache Ignite.

Ignite has been in Apache for over a year already, and prior to that it was
part of GridGain open source edition for over 5 years. It is definitely a
mature codebase with 100s of customers around the world using it in
production, including some very large well known banks.

sridhar77 wrote
> I am also not sure if we will get any enterprise support features if we
> use it.

Currently, GridGain is probably the main company providing enterprise-level
support as well as additional enterprise features for Apache Ignite.

sridhar77 wrote
> Is it just for small companies or can it be used in production too by
> medium to large companies.

As I mentioned above, Ignite is being used by many large customers,
including some very large banks. In many installations Ignite is replacing
products like Oracle Coherence, Pivotal Gemfire, IBM ExtremeScale, etc.

sridhar77 wrote
> Also, I want to know how it differs from Apache Cassandra in its
> implementation, because I heard Cassandra is faster for both Read and
> Write.

Ignite is an in-memory data grid providing in-memory key-value data storage
partitioned across the cluster, while Cassandra is mainly a disk-based
system. Performance-wise, Ignite should be an order of magnitude faster than
Cassandra.

Unlike Cassandra, Ignite provides fully-ACID fault-tolerant transactions
within the cluster.

Ignite also provides ANSI-99 SQL querying capability, including distributed
joins, across the clustered data.

Re: Can Apache Ignite be used in production Environment?

Posted by Ivan Veselovskiy <iv...@gridgain.com>.
Hi, Sridhar,
in addition to that Dmitriy said, a couple of resources describing the
difference between community & enterprise editions:
http://www.gridgain.com/download/
http://www.gridgain.com/resources/feature-comparisons/