Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by "Shapira, Yoav" <Yo...@mpi.com> on 2004/08/05 19:51:55 UTC

Levels in UGLI

Hi,
Which levels should be defined in org.apache.ugli.Logger?  I see debug,
info, warn, error, but no off, all, fatal, or trace.  I'm fine with
that, but I'm just curious as to the reasoning that went into choosing
the UGLI levels.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication, and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender.  Thank you.

Re: Levels in UGLI

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 07:51 PM 8/5/2004, you wrote:

>Hi,
>Which levels should be defined in org.apache.ugli.Logger?

>  I see debug,
>info, warn, error, but no off, all, fatal, or trace.

off and all are not printing methods. No one ever writes nor would want to
write:

   logger.off("some msg"); (a never printing message)

or

   logger.all("some msg"); (an always printing message)

fatal is not that different from error. similarly, trace is not really
different from debug. A much finer level of control can be achieved by
using domains. This will become clear once domains are implemented.

>I'm fine with
>that, but I'm just curious as to the reasoning that went into choosing
>the UGLI levels.

I hope this answers your question.

--
Ceki Gülcü