Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2009/06/20 21:11:04 UTC

who's doing what for 0.21?

http://tinyurl.com/m7nt72

I have an interest in these:

I think for 1015 and 1295, there is interest on the part of at least myself,
dj_ryan, and jgray. dj_ryan was saying something about su executives making
1295 a priority for him. We should figure out how to divide up and assign
out the work.

Also, probably I'll end up taking on the grunt work of 1556, because it
needs to be done.

Have we set a time and place for the next dev meeting?

   - Andy

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I'll keep Tuesday the 30th free.

  - Andy

________________________________
> Have we set a time and place for the next dev meeting?

We've been talking about meeting next Tuesday, the 30th.  We were talking
about having a HUG rolling out 0.20.0.  Maybe should just be a dev. checkin
meeting figuring whats next?
St.Ack

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
Oh and what I forgot to say was using Thrift features (like the different
transport types) that aren't compatible in PHP is not a problem from my
perspective.  I would rcommend to all php users to use the thrift gateways
anyways, so i dont think we need a php-native library (yet?).

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
George Porter wrote:
> For now, though, it might be best for me to first write a patch to the
> spec (with the metadata coming before the name and parameters), and a
> patch to the implementation.  Time permitting before Wednesday, I can
> then write a patch to support the public api for registering the plugin.
>
> Sound good?

Yes.  The priority is to get it into the spec and have the
implementations conform, even if they can only pass empty metadata.
Then, subsequently, can add APIs to access the metadata.

Doug

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by George Porter <Ge...@Sun.COM>.
I was wondering along similar lines while trying to come up with an
API for the Responder side.

On the Requestor side, a plugin could be registered with callbacks
that are invoked before the request is send, and right after the
response is received.  For the Responder, callbacks associated with a
registered plugin would be called after the request is received (but
before the logic of the rpc is executed), and then before the response
is sent back.  Default implementations would just do a nop, and by
default an empty map would be sent.

For now, though, it might be best for me to first write a patch to the
spec (with the metadata coming before the name and parameters), and a
patch to the implementation.  Time permitting before Wednesday, I can
then write a patch to support the public api for registering the plugin.

Sound good?

Thanks,
George

On Jun 30, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> I wonder if, rather than using ThreadLocals, what might be better is
> to have Requestor and Responder support plugins that can manipulate
> the call and response metadata.  Default plugins could be statically
> configured, and per-proxy plugins could be passed to
> ReflectRequestor#getClient().
>
> Doug
>
> Doug Cutting wrote:
>> George Porter wrote:
>>> If (as I expect) it is possible for a thread to have multiple
>>> Requestors open (but Requestors could not be shared to more than
>>> one thread), then the ThreadLocal could be a Map<Requestor,
>>> metadata>.  This way you could set per-call metadata on a per-
>>> requestor basis even if multiple requestors are open.  We could
>>> provide some static methods as you mentioned to facilitate this.
>> Perhaps the ThreadLocal need not be static, but rather per-
>> Requestor. The setters and getters would be implicitly per-thread
>> and explicitly per-requestor.  Could that work?
>>> So that I understand, in this case the call format for the request
>>> would then become:
>>>  - the message name, an avro string, followed by the message
>>> parameters
>>>  - the per-call metadata, which is a map.  By default the map is
>>> null
>> My intuition would be to transmit the metadata before the message
>> name and parameters.  Also, a map would always be transmitted, but
>> it would be empty by default.  The analogy is with HTTP headers,
>> which are transmitted before request and response payloads.  It
>> should be easy to implement an HTTP-based Transceiver.
>>> and the call response would become
>>>  - a one byte error flag boolean (with either a message response
>>> or error)
>>>  - the per-call metadata, which is a map.  By default the map is
>>> null
>> Again, I would transmit metadata before the response data and
>> always transmit a map, empty by default.
>>> Before you had mentioned that the metadata could be sent in
>>> Transceiver.transceive.  But couldn't it also be sent in
>>> Requestor.request() (approximately at the writeRequset() call)?
>> Yes, if it is part of the Avro spec, it would be sent by Requestor
>> and Responder.  If added by an application, it could be in
>> Transceiver#transceive().
>>> What do people think of proceeding with Doug's recommendation of
>>> using ThreadLocals, and including the map in the call request and
>>> response?
>> +1 from me.
>> Doug

[George.Porter@Sun.com][+1.858.320.9932]
[Principal Investigator][Project BigData][Sun Labs]
[twitter.com/SunLabsBigData][blogs.sun.com/george]

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by George Porter <Ge...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Doug,

The ThreadLocal approach would be an easy way to communicate per-call
metadata between the application and the Requstor/Responder without
having to add explicit API.  I just started picking up the Avro code,
and so I have a question:  is it possible for a Requestor or Responder
to be used by more than one thread?  On the flip side, is it possible
for a thread to have more than one Requestor?

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by George Porter <Ge...@Sun.COM>.
If we would have to create an API for (optional) per-call metadata,
then I think we should go ahead and make it part of the spec from the
get-go.  We can then implement both the API and the spec change.

-George

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by George Porter <Ge...@Sun.COM>.
I'd be happy to look into bottom up profiling with tracer tags (path-
based metadata field) supported with avro.  I implemented similar
tracing with Thrift by including an optional parameter into each RPC
by default which passed along metadata.  If the receiver didn't
understand it, it would just ignore that parameter, and if the client
didn't support it, then the receiver would just use a default value of
null.  It seems like a similar approach could be taken with Avro, and
I'll check that out this week.

Thanks,
George

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Amr Awadallah <aa...@cloudera.com>.
 >  I'll poke at the code, what is the current state?

First release of Avro should be rolling out on July 1st per Doug:

From: Doug Cutting
To: avro-dev
Date: June 23, 2009
Subject: Release 1.0.0: July 1st?

I'd like to make a release soon, so that folks can start using Avro. I'd
like to call the first release 1.0.0.

I propose that the Avro version convention is that only major releases
permit forward and/or backward data format incompatibilities.  So, by
calling this 1.x.x, we commit to not altering the specification accept
to potentially add new features whose presence does not affect
compatibility with any existing features until release 2.x.x.

Minor releases would permit API incompatibilities.  So 1.1.X APIs may
not be compatible with 1.0.1 APIs, but all 1.0.X releases should be API
compatible bugfix releases.

Does that sound like a reasonable policy?

It would be nice to have more complete C and/or C++ support working in
1.0.0, but that's not strictly required: we can add it in subsequent
releases.

So I propose to make a 1.0.0 release on July 1st.  Objections?

Doug

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Amr Awadallah <aa...@cloudera.com>.

From: Doug Cutting
To: avro-dev
Date: June 23, 2009

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by George Porter <Ge...@Sun.COM>.

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
Here are some thoughts:

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
Here are some thoughts:

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Ryan,

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Ryan,

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Amr Awadallah <aa...@cloudera.com>.

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Amr Awadallah <aa...@cloudera.com>.

Re: who's doing what for 0.21?

Re: RE: RE: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
The numbers published so far have avro better than the competition:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-avro-dev/200905.mbox/browser

Fellas close to us are talking about digging in on these tests to elicit how
realistic they are.

Avro -- http://people.apache.org/~cutting/avro/ -- is attractive for its
non-versioning goal, its more compact binary representation and because its
close-in to hadoop.  If it has the performance to-boot then its definetly
worth consideration.

St.Ack

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> From: Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>
> I note none of those targets have performance as an explicit goal.

Exactly. If using Avro instead of an alternative such as Thrift or pbufs
will be a performance hit, we should not consider it.

   - Andy

________________________________

> I note none of those targets have performance as an explicit goal.
>
> Right now hadoop rpc is too low performing they end up using the
> xciever
> protocol...so will they replace that as well?  Using a json defined
> self
> describing auto negotiating no code gen system?

That is my understanding.

> If we want to consider using it, we need a 1st class seat at the
> table and
> have to push hard for what we need.
>
> Does anyone know the people involved personally?

Doug Cutting is leading the project. I don't know who else is
involved.

I think they recognize that the current RPC is slow and a
resource hog (xceivers, open file handles).

They also want to get rid of the raw socket protocol used
between clients and data nodes.

The goal overall however is language agnostic wire protocol
without the need to compile anything.

Finally, I agree that if it is not performant then we should
not use it.

Re: RE: who's doing what for 0.21?

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: RE: who's doing what for 0.21?