Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Kiryl Valkovich <vi...@gmail.com> on 2024/03/18 13:37:21 UTC

Suggestions on GitHub labels and issue templates

Comment with better formatting on GitHub: https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/22277#issuecomment-2002553745

    • Deprecate java label. Pulsar is written in Java and most PRs update Java code.
    • Instead of removing labels, deprecate them by renaming them to deprecated/<label_name>. Probably pick another prefix that is alphabetically closer to the end of the alphabet to reduce noise.
    • Add go label automatically using labeler: https://github.com/apache/pulsar/blob/master/.github/labeler.yml
go:
- changed-files:
- any-glob-to-any-file: '**/*.go'

    • Add component/* labels automatically based on the file path
component/config:
- changed-files:
- any-glob-to-any-file: 'conf/**/*'
- any-glob-to-any-file: 'pulsar-config-validation/**/*'
component/client:
- changed-files:
- any-glob-to-any-file: 'pulsar-client/**/*'
- any-glob-to-any-file: 'pulsar-client-*/**/*'

    • Rename bug label to type/bug for consistency. Keep the red color.
    • (?) Rename component/* => area/* for shorter names. The https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/labels has such naming.
    • Rename doc-required label to type/doc. Relabel open issues and PRs with doc labels to the type/doc.
    • Deprecate all other doc-* labels. If it is needed for some kind of workflow, simply use the board project with ToDo -> In Progress -> Done states.
    • (?) Probably it makes sense to enable and track website and docs issues in apache/pulsar-site repository. And add a good visible link to apache/pulsar README.md.
    • Deprecate the question label. Instead, move such issues to Discussions -> Q&A
    • Migrate issues with the enhancement either to type/feature label or Discussions. Add a new Suggest an idea issue template that redirects to the Discussions -> Ideas
    • (?) Rename PIP => type/PIP for consistency
    • Rename flaky-test => type/flaky-test to consistency
    • Deprecate lifecycle/stale label. Use Stale instead. Rename Stale => stale for consistency.
    • Add the ability to pick an area/* label from the dropdown on issue creation.
systemd/systemd and a few other projects use this action for that: https://github.com/redhat-plumbers-in-action/advanced-issue-labeler?tab=readme-ov-file#real-life-examples

Best,
Kiryl

Re: Suggestions on GitHub labels and issue templates

Posted by Lari Hotari <lh...@apache.org>.
Thanks Kiryl, very good proposal.

> • (?) Probably it makes sense to enable and track website and docs issues in apache/pulsar-site repository. And add a good visible link to apache/pulsar README.md.

Yes, that would work too. Since the issue reporting for docs has been
centralized to apache/pulsar in the past, I don't think that it's a
great idea to move it back to pulsar-site, unless there's a compelling
reason. Instead of moving the location of website and docs issues, we
could improve the template for docs issues and add a template for
website issues.

-Lari

Posted by PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org>.
The labels updates:

- Removed the `java` label. We only have a few legacy PRs labeled with
`java`.
- Changed `component/*` to `area/*`
- Deprecated `question` label
- Changed `PIP` to `type/PIP`
- Changed `flaky-test` to `type/flaky-test`

Posted by PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org>.
Yes, the PR is welcome.

Posted by Kiryl Valkovich <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi PengHui,