Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by saurabh jain <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/15 08:41:22 UTC

Zookeeper for storing huge centralize data and Max possible No of zNodes - Please advise

Hi Folks,

I am planning to use ZooKeeper znodes to store my key value data.
Name of the znode will be my key and data present inside it will be my
value.

The problem is I can have millions  of key/value pairs.

Is the zookeeper recommended to solve this type of problem.  I read about
the zookeeper that
it is not an actual File system but a splitted File system  and should be
used only for distributed coordination service.

My requirement is something like this that I need a global place to store
these key values so that all the jobs can access it and even if some job
create a new znode then my other jobs can see these changes with the help
of watcher.

Would you guys recommend using ZooKeeper for above problem statement ?

I have also read in one of the mail archive on the limitation of max no of
znodes , if this limitation still exists then may be this solution won't
work in my case.

http://zookeeper-user.578899.n2.nabble.com/Question-regarding-the-maximum-number-of-ZNODES-a-zookeeper-td6979604.html

Please advise

Many Thanks
Saurabh

Re: Zookeeper for storing huge centralize data and Max possible No of zNodes - Please advise

Posted by Rakesh Radhakrishnan <ra...@gmail.com>.
BK uses ZooKeeper :-

  1) to store its metadata information about the ledgers(you can assume
'ledger' as a 'file' in the filesystem).
  2) to store the details about the available Bookie servers (like service
discovery)

Basic terms are like:-
 - servers called as"bookies",
 - file are "ledgers",
 - and each unit of a file (aka record) is a "ledger entry"

Posted by Rakesh Radhakrishnan <ra...@gmail.com>.
BK uses ZooKeeper :-

Posted by Alvaro Gareppe <ag...@gmail.com>.

--
Ing. Alvaro Gareppe
agareppe@gmail.com

Re: Zookeeper for storing huge centralize data and Max possible No of zNodes - Please advise

Posted by Alvaro Gareppe <ag...@gmail.com>.

--
Ing. Alvaro Gareppe
agareppe@gmail.com

Re: Zookeeper for storing huge centralize data and Max possible No of zNodes - Please advise

Posted by Rakesh Radhakrishnan <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rakesh Radhakrishnan <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alvaro Gareppe <ag...@gmail.com>.

--
Ing. Alvaro Gareppe
agareppe@gmail.com

Re: Zookeeper for storing huge centralize data and Max possible No of zNodes - Please advise

Posted by Alvaro Gareppe <ag...@gmail.com>.

--
Ing. Alvaro Gareppe
agareppe@gmail.com

Re: Zookeeper for storing huge centralize data and Max possible No of zNodes - Please advise

Posted by Sékine Coulibaly <sc...@gmail.com>.
I've no experience of such a deployment. Depending on your read/write
access pattern, this might be a fit for Zookeeper. However, if you
intensively use watches, I'd say the performance will be hit.

Do you use Zookeeper for other purpose than your K/V store ? Why don't you
stick to a distributed database instead ? Some of them do offer watches
such as Redis which offers keyspace notifications (beware, in-memory).
Others will need to be hacked since AFAIK they rarely offer watches
(MongoDb, Cassandra...). This will do the job,

Maybe others will have others ideas.