Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by rb...@covalent.net on 2001/01/01 00:03:45 UTC

Re: http://dev.apache.org/devnotes

Brian, please add Dean to the APR group.

> > > is there a module that does both of these?  (if not, why not?)
> >
> > No, because the last time we used modules to do stuff like this, we had
> > all sorts of headaches
>
> huh, such as?

Try checking out apache-1.3 and then httpd-docs-1.3.  The httpd-docs-1.3
checkout should be horribly broken.

> > and as you have discovered, not all Apache
> > developers have access to apr.
>
> yuck.  why not?  it would seem to make sense that if folks had access to
> apr when it was part of apache-2.0 they should continue to have access to
> apr.  (i understand that there's folks from other projects who now have
> access to apr who never had access to apache-2.0.)

The reason is simple.  APR is a brand new project, and a good number of
the Apache developers have never committed code to APR, and have never
expressed interest in touching it.  When we created APR, I didn't want to
weight APR too heavily with httpd developers, because it shouldn't be just
an httpd thing.  To try to accomplish that, I offered access to any httpd
developer who wanted it, and access to any subversion developer who wanted
it.  This gave us a pretty good balance.  You are now in the avail group
for APR, and as soon as you are added to the APR group, you will be able
to commit to it.

> i suppose that means i also want access to the documentation repositories.
> are there any other splits i haven't discovered yet?

You should already have access to the docs.  There have been no other
splits.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: http://dev.apache.org/devnotes

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> Brian, please add Dean to the APR group.

Done.

	Brian

Re: http://dev.apache.org/devnotes

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> the problem for me is that i now only contribute every N months when i get
> an afternoon that i'm otherwise not doing much on, and every N months i
> have to see what you guys have changed with just the source control
> (nevermind the code itself, that part i find way easier to grok changes to
> once i figure out how to get it).  once i get through that part my spare
> time has run out.  this is just the first time i'm complaining, 'cause i
> actually ran into this frustration a few months ago as well and just gave
> up that time.  net progress:  0 contribution.

Hopefully, we have solved this problem now, and you can contribute
whenever you want.  :-)

> really sure you missed me eh? :)

Dean, you're a real PITA sometimes, but that's usually because you're
right, and you make more work for us.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: http://dev.apache.org/devnotes

Posted by dean gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> Brian, please add Dean to the APR group.

> > > No, because the last time we used modules to do stuff like this, we had
> > > all sorts of headaches
> >
> > huh, such as?
>
> Try checking out apache-1.3 and then httpd-docs-1.3.  The httpd-docs-1.3
> checkout should be horribly broken.

no, apache-1.3 is horribly broken, httpd-docs-1.3 looks to be fine.

% cvs -d dev.apache.org:/home/cvs checkout apache-1.3
cvs server: existing repository /home/cvs/apache-1.3/htdocs does not match /home/cvs/httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs
cvs server: ignoring module htdocs-1.3
% cvs -d dev.apache.org:/home/cvs checkout httpd-docs-1.3
... no error
%

that's because you guys left the /home/cvs/apache-1.3/htdocs directory.

assuming you guys copied all the RCS files from apache-1.3/htdocs to
httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs to preserve history then you can just delete
apache-1.3/htdocs.

and the best option would have been to leave the htdocs directory right
where it was, and make httpd-docs-1.3 a subdirectory of apache-1.3. which
would have let all developers with existing checked out trees continue to
function with zero knowledge of the change, and zero extra work.  (this is
obviously what i would have preferred, considering i already had a tree
with changes checked out... instead i just gave up on the changes because
i ran out of time trying to figure out wtf was wrong.)

> The reason is simple.  APR is a brand new project, and a good number of
> the Apache developers have never committed code to APR, and have never
> expressed interest in touching it.  When we created APR, I didn't want to
> weight APR too heavily with httpd developers, because it shouldn't be just
> an httpd thing.

the problem for me is that i now only contribute every N months when i get
an afternoon that i'm otherwise not doing much on, and every N months i
have to see what you guys have changed with just the source control
(nevermind the code itself, that part i find way easier to grok changes to
once i figure out how to get it).  once i get through that part my spare
time has run out.  this is just the first time i'm complaining, 'cause i
actually ran into this frustration a few months ago as well and just gave
up that time.  net progress:  0 contribution.

call me a whiner if you want, but reorganisations generally suck ass, and
for the most part, it's been reorganisations (of cvs, of directories, of
names, ...) which have deterred me from being interested in continuing
contribution to apache.

maybe if the anon-CVS thing just works from here on out to infinity i'll
just try that next time.  (as you can see i tried the old unprivileged
developer access -- /from-cvs/... but obviously that too needed
reorganisation!)

really sure you missed me eh? :)

-dean