Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Björn Keil <gr...@yahoo.de> on 2016/01/27 17:18:15 UTC

Rules Updates

Hello,

I am using SpamAssassin 3.3.1, installed via the Ubuntu 10.04 package
system, and am trying to figure out how it determines which rules to
use. It appears my SpamAssassin uses completely outdated rules, including

DNS_FROM_AHBL_RHSBL, which queries a list which does not exist anymore and will match each and every Email.

There is a directory with completely obselete rules under
/usr/share/spamassassin. The file
/usr/share/spamassassin/README.Debian.gz says those files will be
overwritten without warning on an update and are not meant to be touched
be the user.

Additionally, there is the directory /var/lib/spamassassin/3.003001
which contains the rules that sa-update fetched. Looking into the perl
script of /usr/sbin/spamd, the spamassassin object is created using both
those directories, /var/lib/spamassassin is the LOCAL_STATE_DIR,
/usr/share/spamassassin is the LOCAL_RULES_DIR.

With this mechanism I am at a loss which rules are actually being used
right now, which should be used and how the SpamAssassin is supposed to
know which rules are outdated when the original rules go into one
directory and updates into another.

Thanks for help,
Björn

Re: Rules Updates

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 27.01.2016 um 17:18 schrieb Björn Keil:
> I am using SpamAssassin 3.3.1, installed via the Ubuntu 10.04 package
> system, and am trying to figure out how it determines which rules to
> use. It appears my SpamAssassin uses completely outdated rules, including
>
> DNS_FROM_AHBL_RHSBL, which queries a list which does not exist anymore and will match each and every Email.

likely because 3.3.1 is horrible outdated as well as Ubuntu 10.04 is out
of support and so nobody cares to fix anything for it

10.04 server had end of support 2015-04-29
10.04 desktop had end of support 2013-05-09

so just do your homework!

[root@mail-gw:~]$ cat /usr/share/spamassassin/* | grep AHBL
[root@mail-gw:~]$

> There is a directory with completely obselete rules under
> /usr/share/spamassassin. The file
> /usr/share/spamassassin/README.Debian.gz says those files will be
> overwritten without warning on an update and are not meant to be touched
> be the user.
>
> Additionally, there is the directory /var/lib/spamassassin/3.003001
> which contains the rules that sa-update fetched. Looking into the perl
> script of /usr/sbin/spamd, the spamassassin object is created using both
> those directories, /var/lib/spamassassin is the LOCAL_STATE_DIR,
> /usr/share/spamassassin is the LOCAL_RULES_DIR.
>
> With this mechanism I am at a loss which rules are actually being used
> right now, which should be used and how the SpamAssassin is supposed to
> know which rules are outdated when the original rules go into one
> directory and updates into another

as always in that order

/usr/share/spamassassin/
/var/lib/spamassassin/
/etc/mail/spamassassin/

Re: Rules Updates

Posted by "@lbutlr" <kr...@kreme.com>.
On Jan 27, 2016, at 9:18 AM, Björn Keil <gr...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> I am using SpamAssassin 3.3.1, installed via the Ubuntu 10.04

An ancient version of SA on a 6 year-old OS?

--
A sadder and a wiser man he rose the morrow morn.