Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Mike Sofen <MS...@ansunbiopharma.com> on 2021/08/23 13:00:04 UTC

Trouble accessing v 1.14.0 on GCP

At my prior company I've installed earlier versions of nifi on GCP Debian VMs and not had a problem pointing a Windows 10 browser at them and going to work.  I'm aware v1.14.0 requires a user login when not using certs, but I can't even get to that step.

I'm pulling my remaining hair out trying to connect to a new Debian VM on GCP running v 1.14.0 on Java 8.  Nifi starts and runs properly, with this caveat - I cannot reference the static external IP - only the default IP (127.0.0.1), so my browser can't connect.  I have a GCP firewall rule that opens the 8443 port for the VM, and even added ICMP to it and can ping it from a CMD shell on my PC.  I've checked all of the file permissions on that VM, all uniformly correct.

Details of my nifi.properties:

If I use:
nifi.web.https.host=127.0.0.1 (the default)
nifi.web.https.port=8443

Nifi starts properly and runs, but my browser returns " 127.0.0.1 refused to connect "

If I use the VM's static IP (which is what I've used on prior VMs):
nifi.web.https.host=35.xxx.xx.xxx
nifi.web.https.port=8443

Nifi fails to start, with the log saying:
2021-08-20 18:55:27,715 WARN [main] org.apache.nifi.web.server.JettyServer Failed to start web server... shutting down.
java.io.IOException: Failed to bind to /35.236.80.234:8543
Caused by: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address

Endless web searches and tests have resulted in no change of behavior - with the default IP, Nifi runs but I can't access it, and with my external IP, it won't start.  I've even tried using a different port (8543), no change.  In this GCP project, I have just this one VM and it has successfully been running Postgres for many months.

Any ideas?

Mike Sofen

Re: Trouble accessing v 1.14.0 on GCP

Posted by David Handermann <ex...@apache.org>.
You're welcome, glad to hear that worked!

Regards,
David Handermann

Posted by Mike Sofen <MS...@ansunbiopharma.com>.
That was it – setting the nifi.web.proxy.host to the VM’s external IP (and leaving the nifi.web.https.host blank) resulted in the Nifi login screen, and I was able to log in.

Whew!!  Thank you so much for the information.  Mike

Small correction, I mistyped the property name the second time, so for clarification, I intended to say setting a blank value for the HTTPS host as follows:
nifi.web.https.host=

Regards,
David Handermann

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 8:35 AM David Handermann <ex...@apache.org>> wrote:
Hi Mike,

The nifi.web.https.host property must match one of the IP addresses assigned to the system on which NiFi is running. The GCP virtual machine has a private IP address assigned to a local interface, and uses network address translation to send requests from the public address to the local interface address. Setting a blank value for nifi.web.http.post<http://nifi.web.http.post> will cause NiFi to listen on all available interfaces, which should allow NiFi to receive incoming requests.

[...]

java.io.IOException: Failed to bind to /35.xxx.xx.xxx:8543 Caused by: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address"

Mike

Posted by David Handermann <ex...@apache.org>.
Hi Mike,

Posted by Mike Sofen <MS...@ansunbiopharma.com>.