Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/28 14:23:15 UTC

[VOTE] Apache DS 2.0.0.AM26 release

Hi,

This is a major release of ApacheDS. It brings many bug fixes, and is the first version implementing LDAP transactions,
which are now used internally for atomic operations, but can also be used through an extended operation, to apply many
operations in one transaction.
We also have changed the Cache system we were using (ehcache) to use the more efficient and lighter Caffeine
(https://github.com/ben-manes/caffeine/wiki).
Otherwise, we don't anymore store certificates in the server by default, but use an external keystore.

We can't anymore produce the Mac OSX installer package, we are working on finding a solution for that issue (Apple
deprecated the MakePackage tool and is now applying way more stringent checks and controls for packages, like
and Apple signature). This will most certainly be fixed in the next revision.

It uses the Apache LDAP API 2.0.0 release

Here are the fixed issues :

Bugs :
------

* DIRSERVER-1414 - Normalization is not handling correctly (buit this has no impact)
* DIRSERVER-1580 - Numerous JUnit tests failing on Windows, again.
* DIRSERVER-1878 - Bad warning from 'maven-shade-plugin' when creating the 'apacheds-service' jar
* DIRSERVER-1924 - The MavibotPartition entry cache is not correctly set
* DIRSERVER-1974 - Rename Operation Issue - ApacheDS
* DIRSERVER-2049 - Queries interrupted with delete/add operations
* DIRSERVER-2066 - Maven 3.3.x produces Invalid installers/archives
* DIRSERVER-2070 - Null pointer exception on kerberos password changing
* DIRSERVER-2071 - MinaKerberosDecoder fails with NullPointerException if the kerberos message is split in multiple packets
* DIRSERVER-2074 - small default TCP receive/send buffer size causing TCP packet fragmentation on some platforms
* DIRSERVER-2089 - AttributeType breaks the equals/hashCode override contract
* DIRSERVER-2099 - NOTICE and LICENSE files for DS 2.0.0-M20 are incorrect
* DIRSERVER-2146 - Using special chars in uid makes problem
* DIRSERVER-2197 - Debian installer package contains the binary 4 times
* DIRSERVER-2237 - Application opens but can't 'Open Connection' - IllegalArgumentException
* DIRSERVER-2247 - Invalid signature file digest for Manifest main attributes - When switching from 2.0.0-M24 to 2.0.0-AM25
* DIRSERVER-2253 - NIS schema object class and attribute problem
* DIRSERVER-2264 - missing schema type for NIS: nisMapName
* DIRSERVER-2273 - Le serveur ne démarre plus
* DIRSERVER-2275 - Les schemas LDIF générés à partir du schema browser font planter Directory au démarrage
* DIRSERVER-2289 - Paging support to retrieve all the entries available in ApacheDS between different client and LDAP server connections

Improvements :
--------------

* DIRSERVER-959 - We nedd a global cache
* DIRSERVER-1639 - Add support for specifying cipher suites in LdapServer's configuration
* DIRSERVER-1892 - We don't need to clone the full entry when returning it from the backen
* DIRSERVER-1916 - Don't drop 'top' from ObjectClass index, it's never present in the BTree
* DIRSERVER-2044 - The CacheService.initialize() method takes an unused InstanceID argument
* DIRSERVER-2132 - Add the structuralObjectClass attribute to every returned entry
* DIRSERVER-2133 - Add the hasSubordinates operational attribute to entries
* DIRSERVER-2145 - A BIND request will do 2 lookups of the entry trying to bind
* DIRSERVER-2168 - Possible performance improvement in the Add operation
* DIRSERVER-2262 - The LdapServer.loadkeyStore() method do the work twice if there is no KeyStore defined
* DIRSERVER-2270 - Inconsistent log level practices

New features :
--------------

* DIRSERVER-279 - Transaction support
* DIRSERVER-1422 - Delegation of Authentication
* DIRSERVER-1956 - Add support for rfc4525 (increment)
* DIRSERVER-2245 - Implement the transaction support in ApachedS
* DIRSERVER-2248 - The server generates some errors when starting (Schema isues)

Tasks :
-------

* DIRSERVER-1245 - Source audit
* DIRSERVER-2063 - Automat testing of installers
* DIRSERVER-2097 - Fix usage of default charset|locale|timezone and enable forbiddenapis check
* DIRSERVER-2271 - Replace Ehcache with Caffeine

Tests :
-------
* DIRSERVER-1847 - Introduce time provider for time dependent tests

  Here are the associated links :

ApacheDS 2.0.0.AM26
-------------------
- GIT tag :

https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=directory-server.git;a=commit;h=8c9b56bdcc0703b04b8e2dbdc4f045ed5d83a064  <https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=directory-server.git;a=commit;h=40ab08d93c6125ccb59d692b25759361307195d3>

- Nexus repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedirectory-1188  <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedirectory-1172>

- Distribution packages and sources :
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/directory/apacheds/2.0.0.AM26/  <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/directory/apacheds/2.0.0-M24/>

[ ] +1 : release ApacheDS 2.0.0.AM26
[ ] ± 0 : I don't care
[ ] -1 : No, don't release ApacheDS 2.0.0.AM26

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.busit.com <http://www.iktek.com>

Re: [VOTE] Apache DS 2.0.0.AM26 release

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
+1, built the sources with Java 8 (1.8.0_162-b12)

Thanks Emmanuel.

P.S:- One observation, the root pom.xml refers to version 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT of
checkstyle-configuration.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
Can we call the vote successful?

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Shawn.

I have tested the build on Debian, with Java 8, and got these errors :

[ERROR] Tests run: 14, Failures: 0, Errors: 2, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
14.183 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.CertificateValidationTest
[ERROR]
testLdaps_Valid_RootCaTrustManager(org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.CertificateValidationTest)
Time elapsed: 1.022 s  <<< ERROR!
org.apache.directory.api.ldap.model.exception.LdapTlsHandshakeException:
ERR_04120_TLS_HANDSHAKE_ERROR The TLS handshake failed, reason:
Unspecified: TrustAnchor with subject "CN=ApacheDS, OU=Directory, O=ASF,
C=US" is not a CA certificate
     at
org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.CertificateValidationTest.connectOk(CertificateValidationTest.java:337)
     at
org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.CertificateValidationTest.testLdaps_Valid_RootCaTrustManager(CertificateValidationTest.java:243)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: SSL handshake failed.
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: General SSLEngine problem
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: General SSLEngine problem
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path
validation failed: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException:
TrustAnchor with subject "CN=ApacheDS, OU=Directory, O=ASF, C=US" is not
a CA certificate
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: TrustAnchor with
subject "CN=ApacheDS, OU=Directory, O=ASF, C=US" is not a CA certificate

[ERROR]
testStartTls_Valid_RootCaTrustManager(org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.CertificateValidationTest)
Time elapsed: 1.011 s  <<< ERROR!
org.apache.directory.api.ldap.model.exception.LdapTlsHandshakeException:
ERR_04120_TLS_HANDSHAKE_ERROR The TLS handshake failed, reason:
Unspecified: TrustAnchor with subject "CN=ApacheDS, OU=Directory, O=ASF,
C=US" is not a CA certificate
     at
org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.CertificateValidationTest.connectOk(CertificateValidationTest.java:333)
     at
org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.CertificateValidationTest.testStartTls_Valid_RootCaTrustManager(CertificateValidationTest.java:253)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: SSL handshake failed.
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: General SSLEngine problem
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: General SSLEngine problem
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path
validation failed: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException:
TrustAnchor with subject "CN=ApacheDS, OU=Directory, O=ASF, C=US" is not
a CA certificate
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: TrustAnchor with
subject "CN=ApacheDS, OU=Directory, O=ASF, C=US" is not a CA certificate

[INFO] Running org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.LdapConnectionTest
[INFO] Tests run: 14, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
2.222 s - in org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.LdapConnectionTest
[INFO] Running org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.ServerSchemaLoaderTest
[INFO] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
1.069 s - in org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.ServerSchemaLoaderTest
[INFO] Running org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.LdapSSLConnectionTest
[INFO] Tests run: 21, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
33.424 s - in org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.LdapSSLConnectionTest
[INFO] Running org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.AdsSchemaLoaderTest
[INFO] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
1.1 s - in org.apache.directory.shared.client.api.AdsSchemaLoaderTest
[INFO] Running
org.apache.directory.ldap.client.template.LdapConnectionTemplateTest
[INFO] Tests run: 9, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
1.278 s - in
org.apache.directory.ldap.client.template.LdapConnectionTemplateTest
[INFO]
[INFO] Results:
[INFO]
[ERROR] Errors:
[ERROR]
CertificateValidationTest.testLdaps_Valid_RootCaTrustManager:243->connectOk:337
? LdapTlsHandshake
[ERROR]
CertificateValidationTest.testStartTls_Valid_RootCaTrustManager:253->connectOk:333
? LdapTlsHandshake

$ mvn --version
Apache Maven 3.6.3 (cecedd343002696d0abb50b32b541b8a6ba2883f)
Maven home: /opt/apache-maven-3.6.3
Java version: 1.8.0_242, vendor: Oracle Corporation, runtime:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: ANSI_X3.4-1968
OS name: "linux", version: "4.9.0-11-amd64", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
+1. Built and verified distribution, tested the upgrade works OK for
various other Apache projects that depend on it.

Colm.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
+1

Re: Result, was: [VOTE] Apache DS 2.0.0.AM26 release

Posted by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>.
On 6/3/20 8:05 am, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Hi !
>

> I'm closing this vote, with 5 binding +1 (Colm, Kiran, Shawn, Stefan and
> me) and one non-binding +1 (Brian).

Just for the record...

I even tried openjdk8, but had the same kerberos test failures.

The syntax for omitting maven tests seems to change very often, but I
found a variant that matched my build. It simply broke somewhere else
and I won't bother you with the details.

Strictly speaking, I should abstain from the vote, but it doesn't really
matter at this time.

> I'll push the packages and do the announcement.

Because I can't even build AM26, I won't be able to test it with my own
directory schema and contents.

I'll just have to wait for AM27 and by then I ought to have the 3.6.3
release of maven available to build and test it.

Sorry for raising my problems, but I appreciate your efforts and
understand you have limited time to work on the project at the moment.

Brian