Posted to photark-dev@incubator.apache.org by Umashanthi Pavalanathan <um...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/03 04:42:10 UTC

Re: Social Features in PhotArk UI

Hi devs,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan <
umashanthip@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I have completed the second milestone of my GSoC project and now starting
> with the next task - "adding social features to PhotArk UI".
>
> For building the social capability in PhotArk, basically there should be
> the following UI functionalities:
> (1) User Profile - add/edit
> (2) Requesting friends, accept friend requests etc
> (3) Viewing list of friends
> (4) Listing user & friend activities
>
> Beyond this, there should be social features like 'likes',
> 'tags','comments','rating' etc in the photo album UI.
>
> I am working on the REST branch and there is no much UI support yet. I
> would like to know your thoughts about where (in which package) these basic
> UI functionalities should be added, which technology to be used for UI etc.
>  Once a reasonable decision is made regarding this, I will work on the
> UI mock-ups for these and discuss further here.

During an offline discussion with Luciano, we discussed about the UI
technology. Had two choices: dojo and jQuery; finally we decided to use
dojo, since it is being used in PhotArk UI already. In case if we need more
features we can get them from jQuery or some other library. Also since using
technologies like JSP might lead to wrong separation of concepts, we decided
to use AJAX technologies like these.

I have started working on the UI layout for handling user profiles and will
continue implementing it using HTML + dojo.

If you have any different thoughts, please feel free to discuss your ideas
here.

Thanks,
~Umashanthi

Posted by Suhothayan Sriskandarajah <su...@gmail.com>.
On 3 July 2011 10:40, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan
> <um...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > During an offline discussion with Luciano, we discussed about the UI
> > technology. Had two choices: dojo and jQuery; finally we decided to use
> > dojo, since it is being used in PhotArk UI already. In case if we need
> more
> > features we can get them from jQuery or some other library.
>
> What are the community thoughts about jQuery versus Dojo ? Should we
> consider anything other then dojo for the UI on the REST branch ?

In the past we had some issues with file uploading on Dojo, due to Flash
updates.
But in the other hand using Dojo will enable some code migration from trunk.

Both seems to be good for me, and I don't think we need to look for other
frameworks.
But we should select either one of these and stick to that.

Regards
Suho

Posted by Umashanthi Pavalanathan <um...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Avdhesh Yadav <av...@avdheshyadav.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan
> > <um...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > During an offline discussion with Luciano, we discussed about the UI
> > > technology. Had two choices: dojo and jQuery; finally we decided to use
> > > dojo, since it is being used in PhotArk UI already. In case if we need
> > more
> > > features we can get them from jQuery or some other library.
> >
> > What are the community thoughts about jQuery versus Dojo ? Should we
> > consider anything other then dojo for the UI on the REST branch ?
> >

> jQuery and Dojo both are javascript frameworks and requires basic knowledge
> of javascript to use these framework.
>
> How about Using GWT for UI ?.One benefit of using GWT is that we develop UI
> in java and no need to learn javascript(which i personally do not like).

+1 for GWT considering that benefit. I have used GWT in my previous project
(GSoC 2010) and it reduces the development time for novice developers.

What do others think?

Thanks,
~Umashanthi

Posted by Avdhesh Yadav <av...@avdheshyadav.com>.

Posted by Avdhesh Yadav <av...@avdheshyadav.com>.
On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Suhothayan Sriskandarajah <
suhothayan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 July 2011 00:12, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Subash Chaturanga <su...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > use
> need

> > > +1 for Dojo.
> > >
> > > When considering GWT over other well known js frameworks like JQuery or
> > > Dojo, people who are good at front end designing, most of them
> > comfortable
> > > with having HTMLs to structure and style them with CSS(which is pretty
> > clean
> > > and straightforward ). But in GWT we are kinda forced to use decent MVC
> > and
> > > client-server design patterns which may have a bit of a learning curve
> > for
> > > new developers.
> > >
> > > So in terms of migration to GWT in REST, we should consider the
> > adaptability
> > > of it with our future PhotArk contributors. There is no such huge
> > advantage
> > > of using GWT over Dojo except for java developers. But there are many
> > > developers who are from .NET, C++, PHP backgrounds. So such person
> might
> > not
> > > interested in understanding GWT and contribute to us. And also, as Suho
> > > mentioned, we have the advantage of reusing front end codes straight
> away
> > > from trunk if we stick to Dojo.

Yes I agree but I think GWT gives low barrier entry to AJAX for Java
Developer.

Posted by Suhothayan Sriskandarajah <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Subash Chaturanga <su...@gmail.com>.