Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru> on 2003/11/13 07:03:48 UTC

Re[2]: Config files is harcoded in sources?!

Hello, C.!

>> Are here any plans to
CMP> [...]
>> allows select directory with configs in compile time?!
CMP> No.  We want the configuration area to remain at an expected location
CMP> so that different Subversion-related tools know where to find the
CMP> configuration.  If you need to do so, you can override the config
CMP> location at run-time, though (typically done for testing purposes).
  It is not good behavior for systems, which have some rules about
FS hierarchy for third-party programs. FreeBSD is good example of
such system. You behave VERY BAD, if put something to /etc, and you
are not program from base system.

  Ok, I'll add patch to FreeBSD's port, it is not difficult. But I
don't think, it is good idea to put something not system-provided to
/etc in any case. For example, because / could be mountet read-only
after base system configuration. And all third-party programs should
not intersect with base ones!

               Lev Serebryakov

Re[4]: Config files is harcoded in sources?!

Posted by Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru>.
Hello, C.!

>>   Ok, I'll add patch to FreeBSD's port, it is not difficult. But I
>> don't think, it is good idea to put something not system-provided to
>> /etc in any case. For example, because / could be mountet read-only
>> after base system configuration. And all third-party programs should
>> not intersect with base ones!
CMP> We don't put anything in /etc.  We merely *look* for something in
CMP> /etc.  Subversion only creates per-user config locations.  We let
CMP> sysadmins handle the creation of per-machine config locations, if they
CMP> see fit to do so.
  And, one more.

  If "sysadmins handle the creation of per-machine config locations",
lets sysadmin to select default place of this location! swith
compile-time option. Run-time option is not a solution: svn can be
called 1000 times a day, so sysadmin should rename svn to svn.bin, and
write script, which adds configuration options to command line... And
this should be dome for svn, svnlook, svnadmin, svnserve... I don't
hinke it is good solution.

  Yes, you lets admin handle to create per-machine config location,
but you don't let to select WHERE this location should be.

 Of course, admin could fix sources before build. But I don't think,
 it is better, than compile-time option ``--with-etc''

--
               Lev Serebryakov

Re: Re[2]: Config files is harcoded in sources?!

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.