Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Ferguson, Jason M TSgt 375 CSPTS/SCE" <ja...@scott.af.mil> on 2007/06/26 14:06:05 UTC

Questions About Getting Started With Maven 2

I am in the process of trying to learn Maven 2, rather than using
certain Maven 1 templates that were developed by some now long-gone
types. I've downloaded "Better Builds With Maven" and am about to start
going through it.

I have three major things I want to accomplish with Maven, and want to
see if its possible.

The first major item: archetypes. I use a template project whenever I
start something new. The project will have a structure of something like
this:

com.division.projectname
com.division.projectname.dao
com.division.projectname.dao.hibernate
com.division.projectname.services
com.division.projectname.model
com.division.projectname.web
com.division.projectname.web.struts
(etc)

These packages already contain certain abstract classes. When I check
the project template out of Subversion, I have to do a refactor
operation in IDEA to change "projectname" to whatever the project
actually is. Can Maven handle this package renaming process without
affecting all the packages living below it?

The second item: IntelliJ IDEA. The idea:idea target builds IDEA project
files for me, which almost makes it worth the upgrade. However, can I
customize this target to preconfigure the libraries listed in the POM,
and configure my local application server (OC4J)?

The third item: When I turn a project over, I have to create a Software
Turnover Notice, which is a CD with a particular structure:

Database - contains any database scripts necessary for the application
Deploy - contains project WAR file
Documentation - misc documentation
Source - a Subversion export of whatever project I'm turning over

I also have to prepare a document with the technical specifications and
all of the files that are being turned over.

Can Maven automate THIS process?

Thanks for helping out a newbie as he gets started.

Jason