Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com> on 2001/09/25 03:51:10 UTC

Re: Call Tree How To: index.jsp -> jetspeed.vm & Default.psml: how does this work

Riedl,
Note the following is based on the default configuration and the user
requested the page http://www.myJetspeed.com/jetspeed

1) The request is redirected to index.jsp.  Based on the
<welcome-file-list> in web.xml

2) The request, index.jsp, is forwarded to /portal by index.jsp.  Note
this has nothing to do with the layout type.

3) The request, /portal, is passed to the jetspeed servlet.  Based on
the <servlet-mapping> in web.xml

4) The jetspeed servlet determines the media type and language from
information provided by the browser in the http request.

5) Using the media type, language, and layout type (as defined in
JetspeedResource.properties) the default.vm is located in the
WEB-INF/templates/vm/layouts/html directory tree.  See jetspeed.log,
located in WEB-INF/log, to determine which default.vm is used

5) default.vm define the top, left, and bottom navigation bars in
addition to $screen_placeholder.    The contents for the navigation bars
can be found in the WEB-INF/templates/vm/navigations/html tree.
$screen_placeholder is populated using from the default.psml file
located in WEB-INF/psml/anon/html directory tree.  See jetspeed.log to
determine which file are used.

For logged in users, default.psml in step #5 is found in the
WEB-INF/psml/user directory tree.

The Velocity variables skin.*Class are translates in to a CSS class
using appropriate skin registry entry, see skin.xreg and
local-skin.xreg.  The CSS class is defined in css/default.css.

I am working on the Jetspeed documentation.  Does this answer you
questions?

Paul Spencer