Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2006/05/08 15:00:27 UTC

How project decisions are made in Apache projects

XML Graphics people,

Leo Simons made me aware that I may need to make a few things more clear
concerning project decisions in our project. The XML Graphics project is
not the same as the former XML project Batik and FOP were under. Even
though we still maintain separate committer sets for Batik and FOP all
project-relevant decisions are made by the PMC, i.e. the binding votes
on EVERY vote within this project are only those of the PMC members.

Back when we were operating under the XML umbrella, we believed that the
committers were governing the (sub)project. This has been clarified by
the board that they are not.

Only the PMC can make project decisions [1]. A committer under the
clarified rules is someone with write access to the repository. That's
basically it, although a committer can make local decisions in code
which the PMC accepts with lazy consensus, and it's clear that no voice
will simply be overruled when it's no coming from a PMC member. That
would be unfair. But as I suggested a number of times, every committer
may choose to participate in the PMC. The ASF actually encourages that
the set of committers matches the set of PMC members (most apparent in
the HTTPD project), but being a PMC members is not without
responsibilities. A PMC is supposed to be informed about everything that
goes on in the project, not only the corner he's most interested in.
This is about oversight, the prime reason why the Board wanted the XML
project split up.

Based on the information found in [1] the exisiting PMC members invite
committers to join the PMC, but I'd say that every non-newbie committer
should feel invited to join the PMC if he/she wishes to do so.

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles

With the recent committer vote on batik-dev I failed to guide Thomas
into the right direction by not being strict about handling the vote as
an explicit PMC vote. He was right to CC general@ but I didn't make it
clear with my vote, for example, that it is actually a PMC thing. My
apologies, Thomas.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: How project decisions are made in Apache projects

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@apache.org>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> XML Graphics people,
>
> Leo Simons made me aware that I may need to make a few things more clear
> concerning project decisions in our project. The XML Graphics project is
> not the same as the former XML project Batik and FOP were under. Even
> though we still maintain separate committer sets for Batik and FOP all
> project-relevant decisions are made by the PMC, i.e. the binding votes
> on EVERY vote within this project are only those of the PMC members.

Jeremias, I think then there needs to be an automatic inactivation
process for PMC members, similar to the three-month rule for committers.
  Further, a requirement made that a PMC member *must* be an active
committer, i.e., at least one email every three months.  Keiron has been
  silent for quite a long time now, not taking part on PMC votes either,
and while we all appreciate his joining to faciliate the creation of XML
Graphics, I think inactivation for him at this time would be
appropriate, until he can return more solidly to the project.

We can't have completely inactive committers as voting PMC members, the
meritocracy breaks down when that occurs, and obnoxious Americans like
me start complaining.

 > But as I suggested a number of times, every committer
> may choose to participate in the PMC.

That's nice to know.  I may rejoin sometime.

> The ASF actually encourages that
> the set of committers matches the set of PMC members (most apparent in
> the HTTPD project), but being a PMC members is not without
> responsibilities. A PMC is supposed to be informed about everything that
> goes on in the project, not only the corner he's most interested in.

What?!?  You mean PDF bookmarks aren't enough?!?   ;-)

Glen