Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Gary Tang <ga...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/22 13:14:33 UTC

How to organize a new portal project based on Jetspeed2 architecture?

Hi, All:

I have succeeded building jetspeed2 M3 and I can see the portlets. It is
wonderful.

What if I want to develop a new portal project based on jetspeed2
architecture? How should I organize my project structure? I have property:
org.apache.jetspeed.project.home = C:/website/jetspeed2src.

Do I have to put my new portal code/resouce under folder ${
org.apache.jetspeed.project.home} and build from there? My preference is to
create a seperate folder for my project and accessed jetspeed via jar
without changing anything in jetspeed2 source. If I put the development
code/resource into a seperate folder, how can I take advantage of maven to
build, test, deploy the project?

Please give me some instruction based your jetspeed2 experience!

Thank you very much in advance!

Gary Tang

Re: How to organize a new portal project based on Jetspeed2 architecture?

Posted by Joachim Müller <jo...@wemove.com>.
This actually is a very good idea!

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
It certainly seems that use of Maven by those whose project is a
software development tool called Jetspeed should be different from those
who are trying to build an application portal based on this tool
possibly in combination with other tools..

If I am building the Artifact Software e-learning portal, my maven POM
will be quite different than the POM that the Apache Jetspeed team will
want. The contents and usage of the Maven configuration files will be
completely different.
As project manager, I only have control over the central build files and
most of my staff should have nothing in ${user.home}build.properties
unless they have a non-standard test facility on their own PC.

It would be useful to have the discussion about how the Jetspeed
installation and download packages should be different for these two groups.

I am working on the getting started documentation and now is the time
for the experienced portal developers to make their views known.
Specially appreciated are the "thing that I know now that would have
been good to know before I got started with Jetspeed-2".

Ron

Posted by Scott T Weaver <sc...@binary-designs.net>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Gary Tang wrote:
> Hi, All:
>
> I have succeeded building jetspeed2 M3 and I can see the portlets. It is
> wonderful.
>
> What if I want to develop a new portal project based on jetspeed2
> architecture? How should I organize my project structure? I have property:
> org.apache.jetspeed.project.home = C:/website/jetspeed2src.

We recommend starting new projects with the Jetspeed Maven Plugin as
described in the Getting Started document

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/getting-started.html

see section 2 for required properties
see section 4 for Creating a New Portlet Application instructions

Also, plugin goals are documented here

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/j2-maven-plugin.html

Perhaps a tutorial would be even more helpful
A simple project doesn't really take up much space in SVN
This would be very helpful for new users

In my experience with new users to the build, 9 out of 10 times, someone
will type in a property wrong. Usually, backslashes ...

Documentation Re: How to organize a new portal project based on Jetspeed2 architecture?

Posted by Marky Goldstein <re...@rosa.com>.
We should put the answers to this question into the general
documentation.

What Resources are already available?

Best regards,
Marky

--
R.Ø.S.A.
Identity: Marky Goldstein

R.Ø.S.A. Creation. Technology. Intelligence. AG
Seefeldstrasse 231, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: +41 1 389 63 33
Fax: +41 1 389 63 30