Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by pkimber <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/07 16:45:33 UTC

Re: Lucene 2.2, NFS, Lock obtain timed out

Hi

We are still getting various issues on our Lucene indexes running on an NFS
share.  It has taken me some time to find some useful information to report
to the mailing list.

I have created a test application which is running on two Linux servers.
The Lucene index is on an NFS share.  After running for some time, both
instances throw this exception:

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/tmp/nfstest/repository/lucene/lucene-test/_zr.cfs (No such file or
directory)
    at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:204)
    at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexInput$Descriptor.<init>(FSDirectory.java:506)
    at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexInput.<init>(FSDirectory.java:536)
    at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openInput(FSDirectory.java:445)
    at
org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileReader.<init>(CompoundFileReader.java:70)
    at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.initialize(SegmentReader.java:211)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.get(SegmentReader.java:197)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.get(SegmentReader.java:132)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader$1.doBody(IndexReader.java:201)
    at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$FindSegmentsFile.run(SegmentInfos.java:614)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:180)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:162)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.<init>(IndexSearcher.java:56)
    at
com.subshell.lucene.indexaccess.impl.IndexAccessProvider.getSearcher(IndexAccessProvider.java:110)
    at
com.subshell.lucene.indexaccess.impl.LuceneIndexAccessor.getSearcher(LuceneIndexAccessor.java:291)
    at
com.subshell.lucene.indexaccess.impl.LuceneIndexAccessor.getSearcher(LuceneIndexAccessor.java:256)
    at
com.subshell.lucene.indexaccess.impl.LuceneIndexAccessor.getSearcher(LuceneIndexAccessor.java:249)
    at
com.thecompany.lucene.index.LuceneIndexManager.getSearcher(LuceneIndexManager.java:196)
    ... 15 more

I have enabled the info stream on the IndexWriter object using
IndexWriter.setDefaultInfoStream().  The output from the two servers is as
follows:

Server 1:
$ cat index-writer-info-stream.out | grep _zr.cfs
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@1984a9d
lucene.icm.test.Write.main():   IncRef "_zr.cfs": pre-incr count is 0
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@1984a9d
lucene.icm.test.Write.main():   IncRef "_zr.cfs": pre-incr count is 1
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@1984a9d
lucene.icm.test.Write.main():   IncRef "_zr.cfs": pre-incr count is 2
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@1984a9d
lucene.icm.test.Write.main():   DecRef "_zr.cfs": pre-decr count is 3
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@1984a9d
lucene.icm.test.Write.main():   IncRef "_zr.cfs": pre-incr count is 2

Server 2:
$ cat index-writer-info-stream.out | grep _zr.cfs
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@20a83c2a
lucene.icm.test.Write.main():   IncRef "_zr.cfs": pre-incr count is 0
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@20a83c2a
lucene.icm.test.Write.main():   IncRef "_zr.cfs": pre-incr count is 1
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@20a83c2a
lucene.icm.test.Write.main():   DecRef "_zr.cfs": pre-decr count is 2
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@4b69d75d
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@4ecd51ad
lucene.icm.test.Write.main():   IncRef "_zr.cfs": pre-incr count is 0
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@4ecd51ad
lucene.icm.test.Write.main():   IncRef "_zr.cfs": pre-incr count is 1
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@4ecd51ad
lucene.icm.test.Write.main():   IncRef "_zr.cfs": pre-incr count is 2
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@4ecd51ad
lucene.icm.test.Write.main():   IncRef "_zr.cfs": pre-incr count is 3
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@4ecd51ad
lucene.icm.test.Write.main():   DecRef "_zr.cfs": pre-decr count is 4
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter@4ecd51ad
lucene.icm.test.Write.main():   IncRef "_zr.cfs": pre-incr count is 3

I have added logging to our ExpirationTimeDeletionPolicy and I don't think
it is deleting the "_zr.cfs" file.

Once again, I would really appreciate your help solving this issue,

Thanks for your help,

Patrick

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
"Patrick Kimber" <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot send you the source code without speaking to my manager
> first.  I guess he would want me to change the code before sending it
> to you.  You could have the log files now, but I expect you want to
> wait until the test application is ready to send?

I can try to start with the full logs.

Mike

Re: Lucene 2.2, NFS, Lock obtain timed out

Posted by Patrick Kimber <ma...@gmail.com>.

> "pkimber" <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We are still getting various issues on our Lucene indexes running on
> > an NFS share.  It has taken me some time to find some useful
> > information to report to the mailing list.
>
> Bummer!
>
> Can you zip up your test application that shows the issue, as well as
> the full logs from both servers?  I can look at them & try to
> reproduce the error.
>
> Mike

Yeh, I know!

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.