Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Charles Palmer <ch...@dspdesign.com> on 2004/12/04 17:07:19 UTC

Trouble with instructions in snapshot download

Team:

I've downloaded a recent snapshot (1 December) and it is running (thanks!). I've just returned to the top-level index.html and tried to follow the instructions in the sections "Run a webapp of the Apache Forrest site" and "Render the Forrest Core documentation". Neither of these work. I suspect the documentation is out of step with the file structures.

The instructions say "Type 'forrest run' in this top-level directory." and "Simply type 'forrest' in this top-level directory." But which directory? No documentation appears and there is no working webapp if I do this in the forrest/ directory.

Since the previous instructions included "cd main" maybe it means forrest/main? Or whatabout FORREST_HOME/bin? But they doesn't seem to work either...

Charles Palmer

Re: Trouble with instructions in snapshot download

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Charles Palmer wrote:
> I've downloaded a recent snapshot (1 December) and it is running
> (thanks!). I've just returned to the top-level index.html and tried to
> follow the instructions in the sections "Run a webapp of the Apache
> Forrest site" and "Render the Forrest Core documentation". Neither of
> these work. I suspect the documentation is out of step with the file
> structures.

Yes, thanks for the pointer. I'll update now.

Docs are being restructured at the moment. The directory you want is
docs-author.

cd docs-author
forrest run

will give you what you want.

Ross

Re: Trouble with instructions in snapshot download

Posted by Rick Tessner <ri...@apache.org>.
Charles Palmer wrote:
> Team:
>
> I've downloaded a recent snapshot (1 December) and it is running
> (thanks!). I've just returned to the top-level index.html and tried to
> follow the instructions in the sections "Run a webapp of the Apache
> Forrest site" and "Render the Forrest Core documentation". Neither of
> these work. I suspect the documentation is out of step with the file
> structures.

Yes, you're right.  That document is a bit out of step with the
documentation directory structure.

The documentation has been undergoing some restructuring so that there is
core documentation that applies to Forrest as a whole and documentation
for a specific release.

Right now, under the FORREST_HOME, there are two directories:

   docs-author   : Documentation for this release, 0.7-dev
   site-author   : Documentation pertaining to Forrest as a whole

At the moment, to view the documentation pertaining to this release, you
would need to

   cd $FORREST_HOME/docs-author
   forrest run

To view the documentation that pertains to Forrest as a whole, you would

   cd $FORREST_HOME/site-author
   forrest run

--
Rick Tessner