Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Aumann, Shad" <sj...@anteon.com> on 2000/11/29 20:44:51 UTC

Distributed session tracking?

Hello,

If I wanted to run multiple web servers - each running Apache/Tomcat - in a
load-balancing configuration, how can I make it so that the session tracking
on each installation of Tomcat is available to whatever web server gets the
client's request?

I realize that I could just do "first hit" load balancing, and then keep the
client on the same web server that they started with.

But, I'd rather have a web server "farm", and be able to send the requests
to the server with the lowest load.

Does Apache/Tomcat have any provisions for automatically supporting this
kind of distributed session tracking?

I'm about to implement it myself, using the RDBMS as the location of all of
the shared session information for each of the web servers to utilize.  Does
anyone have a better idea?

Shad

--
Shad J. Aumann