Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> on 2001/11/02 23:20:47 UTC

svn log format redux

What did we decide to do about the log format?  Did we decide to keep
the byte count?

If so, I have an idea: why not say the number of lines in the log
message rather than the number of bytes?  It addresses Branko's
concern that the number of bytes is ambiguous because of line
separators, and it's something a human is more likely to pick up on.

I'll feel dumb if y'all already got this idea and I didn't notice. :)

Re: svn log format redux

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
"Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org> writes:
> [...]

Sorry, got behind on mail.

+1 on this -- I'll do it as part of finishing svn log.  It will work
reliably, since the separator is its own line, and the only purpose of
the byte/line count is to know when you've seen the real separator and
not an imposter.

-K

> What did we decide to do about the log format?  Did we decide to keep
> the byte count?
>
> If so, I have an idea: why not say the number of lines in the log
> message rather than the number of bytes?  It addresses Branko's
> concern that the number of bytes is ambiguous because of line
> separators, and it's something a human is more likely to pick up on.
>
> I'll feel dumb if y'all already got this idea and I didn't notice. :)

Yeah, I mentioned it in not so clear terms, but it wasn't picked up
yet. ;)

Sander