Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> on 2019/11/04 17:54:37 UTC

RE: [DISCUSS] Handling release updates

Hi,
 Not sure what the needs exactly.
 But If you rebuild a patched NetBeans with a forced version RELEASE112-update1. You can pick the patched nbm you want. And alter pom to put RELEASE112 for dep (you know are were not  modified).

 Then vote with sources + the limited artefacts RELEASE112-update1 to be able to release them in central

Best Regards
Eric

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 8 Nov 2019, 10:35 Geertjan Wielenga, <ge...@apache.org> wrote:

> How is the signing done for Apache NetBeans during releases and why can't
> that be used for the patch too?

Different kinds of signing. The releases and the updates will be signed as
ASF requires with an external .asc file. But the nbms in the release aren't
currently jar signed (ie. internal signature) so will show as unsigned with
a warning in the IDE. You can see this if you uninstall and reinstall
modules in the IDE. This is what we need to sort out.

And yes, you're not the only one to have been confused by this distinction!
;-)

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [DISCUSS] Handling release updates

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
How is the signing done for Apache NetBeans during releases and why can't
that be used for the patch too? Sorry, ignorant on this point and need to
understand this aspect to be able to participate in the discussion,
alternatively those who are familiar with this should take the lead and do
what is needed or what is best under the circumstances.

Gj

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Korney Czukowski <cz...@seznam.cz>.
Then I must have misunderstood your earlier comment about issues due to
changes in the build system, my apologies. Although even with almost
everything in place, there's still this issue with nbm signing, so
practically the Update Center cannot be used for now, right (else you
would have already used it)? If this is the case, then a (trusted)
offline installed could be used as a temporarily and somewhat ugly solution.

And yes, I meant generally any release within the quarterly cycle that
is assigned a version number, sorry for not being clear.

Regards!

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Korney Czukowski <cz...@seznam.cz>.
If the Update Center is out of the question for now, maybe it would be
feasible to create an offline update installer consisting only of a
couple of nbms that need to be updated, that would update an existing
NetBeans installation? Then it should be possible to vote for just for
this very limited portion of the sources and avoid issues with early
merging. If the installer is signed, there should not be any trust
issues regarding the content it carries.

If this is hard to do, maybe even just posting the patched nbms
somewhere and instructing the affected users how to replace them
manually could suffice, given the NetBeans userbase profile, it might be
acceptable to many.

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Cherry+Pick%22>

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.