Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com> on 2006/01/13 16:14:20 UTC

charset in SVN repository

r368730 encodes RĂ¼diger's name using UTF-8 in CHANGES.

When I look at it, I see junk in my default tools.  I also see junk
when viewing it in viewcvs.cgi, which reports it as iso-8859-1.

Is that just a viewcvs bug and my local setup, or is there
something deeper in svn and/or our repository?

--
Nick Kew

Re: charset in SVN repository

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 1/13/06, Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com> wrote:
> r368730 encodes RĂ¼diger's name using UTF-8 in CHANGES.
>
> When I look at it, I see junk in my default tools.  I also see junk
> when viewing it in viewcvs.cgi, which reports it as iso-8859-1.
>
> Is that just a viewcvs bug and my local setup, or is there
> something deeper in svn and/or our repository?

Likely a viewcvs bug/bug in your local setup, if I had to guess.
There can't possibly be a svn bug here, since svn really doesn't give
a damn about the encoding of the contents of a file in the repository,
it's all just bytes to it.

-garrett