Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by S Jepson <sc...@hotmail.com> on 2002/07/11 22:09:11 UTC

Contexts as symbolic links under webapps

Tomcat 4.0.x on Solaris 2.6, JDK 1.3.1_02

We run several distinct websites using the same codebase.

The codebase is deployed under 'tomcat/webapps' e.g. 'myapp'

Each website is setup as a separate context in server.xml with the docbase
set to the codebase under webapps.
e.g. Context 1 is 'mysite1' with code base 'myapp', context 2 is 'mysite2'
with code base 'myapp' and so on.

The appearance of each site is determined during the initialization of each
servlet by content fetched from the database.

Unfortunately myapp does not log to the servlet context log - it logs to the
standard output and identifies each servlet by its location
e.g. webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/classes/classname.

Since it is difficult to identify which site (or context) this servlet is
logging information for, we tried creating symbolic links as follows:
webapps/mysite1 points to webapps/myapp
webapps/mysite2 points to webapps/myapp
In server.xml, the context entries were modified as follows:
Code base for 'mysite1' is now 'mysite1'
Code base for 'mysite2' is now 'mysite2'

I now expect the servlet from context 'mysite1' to log as messages as
webapps/mysite1/WEB-INF/classes/classname

Unfortunately at run-time, catalina.out still logs the originating servlet
from context 'mysite1' as webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/classes/classname

Tomcat appears to be resolving the link to the real path and logging this
path name. Is there anyway I can prevent this and get Tomcat to log the
docbase entry instead?

Any help is appreciated!