Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/02 10:50:56 UTC

Re: Node2 vs Node, parallel universes? Sample tuscany launcher shell

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply. The message skipped out of my attention.
> My understanding is that a domain is the administrative (governance)
> boundary for SCA composite applications. Why does the Shell needs to switch
> between multiple domains within the same session. Typically, most admin
> consoles connect to one "boundary" at a time. For example:
> * OSGi console connects to an instance of the OSGi runtime
> * WebSphere admin console talks to a ND manager for a cell
> * Telnet/SSH connects to a host
> Why cannot we have the Shell session be associated with one SCA domain at a
> time, for example:
> shell <domainURI>
> tuscany> (all the commands are within the domain)
> tuscany>

That makes sense to me, although its slightly different from
traditional admin console type apps in that a domain may also be quite
tiny with multiple domains in a single runtime so how about having it
work as just described but also support changing and listing domains
within the Shell and have the prompt identify the current domain. Eg:

   shell <uri:myDomain?configParams...>
   myDomain> (all the commands are within the domain myDomain)

and add commands such as "domains"  and "domain [<domainName>]" that
enable querying and switching domains.

   ...ant

Re: Node2 vs Node, parallel universes? Sample tuscany launcher shell

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:50 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry for the late reply. The message skipped out of my attention.
>> My understanding is that a domain is the administrative (governance)
>> boundary for SCA composite applications. Why does the Shell needs to switch
>> between multiple domains within the same session. Typically, most admin
>> consoles connect to one "boundary" at a time. For example:
>> * OSGi console connects to an instance of the OSGi runtime
>> * WebSphere admin console talks to a ND manager for a cell
>> * Telnet/SSH connects to a host
>> Why cannot we have the Shell session be associated with one SCA domain at a
>> time, for example:
>> shell <domainURI>
>> tuscany> (all the commands are within the domain)
>> tuscany>
>
> That makes sense to me, although its slightly different from
> traditional admin console type apps in that a domain may also be quite
> tiny with multiple domains in a single runtime so how about having it
> work as just described but also support changing and listing domains
> within the Shell and have the prompt identify the current domain. Eg:
>
>   shell <uri:myDomain?configParams...>
>   myDomain> (all the commands are within the domain myDomain)
>
> and add commands such as "domains"  and "domain [<domainName>]" that
> enable querying and switching domains.

I've committed some changes to tuscany-shell to start doing that. You
can use the 'domain domainURI' command to switch to different domains
or the noargs 'domain' to switch to standalone mode which allows using
the 'start' command to start nodes which are not part of any domain
but completely isolated with no sharing of anything from other nodes.
The prompt identifies what the current domain is. Some of the help and
JLine completors still need updating for this so aren't quite perfect
but thought i'd commit it now as it is so we can see how it works. I'm
not totally convinced yet that this is quite right, some commands not
feeling very elegant so i wonder if there might be some better ways to
support multiple domains and standalone nodes...if anyone has any
suggestions or comments...

   ...ant