Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by socio_pal <so...@yahoo.com> on 2006/11/17 21:26:04 UTC

Making the best use of CSV files

Hi:
I am doing a DB performance test and my test plan looks like the following:

Thread group
    JDBC Connection Configuration
        Simple Controller1
             Data File 1 (Containing variables firstname, lastname,
employee_no)
             SQL1 (JDBC Request Sampler)
        Simple Controller2
             Data File 2 (containing variables firstname, DOB, status)
             SQL2 (JDBC Request Sampler)
        Simple Controller3
             Data File 3(containing variables employee_no, status,
company_name)
             SQL3 (JDBC Request Sampler)

This is just a rough example of how my test plan looks. Just because the
variables in the data file are used by more than one sampler,   will it work
if I just have a data file containing variables (firstname, lastname,
employee_no,DOB, status,company_name)  and add this file as a direct child
of the Thread Group instead of limiting the scope to just the Simple
Controllers. I would like to run all the 3 simple controllers in a loop for
performance testing. All I need to know is, will Jmeter be able to read one
row from the Data file (that is the child of the thread group)  and
distribute the values among all the samplers in one iteration and then go to
another rwo for the second iteration?

Please help. And also let me know if my question is not clear.

Thanks

Re: Making the best use of CSV files

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17/11/06, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The CSVData Set config element is read once for each loop; each thread
> will get a new record from the file.
>
> There is no synchronisation between threads, so there is no guarantee
> that thread 1 will read all its files before thread 2 etc, so the data
> is likely to get mixed up.

I should have said that there is no synchronisation between threads
for the *different* CSV Data Set elements.

A single CSV element is of course synchronised between threads.

Re: Making the best use of CSV files

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
The CSVData Set config element is read once for each loop; each thread
will get a new record from the file.

There is no synchronisation between threads, so there is no guarantee
that thread 1 will read all its files before thread 2 etc, so the data
is likely to get mixed up.

So, unless it does not matter whether or not the 3 samples refer to
the same data, you should combine all the data in a single CSV file
which is read at the start of the loop (and remove the Simple
Controllers).

The Java Request Sampler is very useful for testing Test Plans. Just
use the variables in the result data (or label) and you can then see
them in the Tree View Listener. When the plan is working, just add the
real samplers.