Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Markus Huber <st...@gmx.at> on 2009/02/12 13:25:52 UTC

ActiveMQ: many clients, client-to-client, Internet

Dear list

I am developing a distributed system with the following characteristics:
- many clients (usually online 24/7)
- connected via the Internet
- mostly direct client-to-client (1:1) communication

I am not sure whether ActiveMQ or messaging in general is suitable if the communication is mostly client-to-client, i.e. the sender explicitly addresses one particular client.

Will such client-to-client messages always be routed through the broker or can two clients communicate directly with each other, bypassing to send all data through the broker? If not, what is the solution in order to avoid a bottleneck at the broker?

I have currently developed my own messaging system based on TCP or UDP, but the advanced features of ActiveMQ might be worth switching.
--
Jetzt 1 Monat kostenlos! GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a